Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MOUSEMILL ROAD, CLYDESHOLM BRIDGELB37032

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1971
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
Lanark
NGR
NS 86872 43918
Coordinates
286872, 643918

Description

John Lockhart of Birkenhead, Lanark, 1696-99. 3-span bridge with large semicircular arches and massive piers with triangular cutwaters, extended up to form pedestrian refuges to both upstream and downstream sides. Squared rubble (more regularly sized blocks to parapet). Narrow voussoirs. Wing walls stepped outwards at either end. Carriageway level raised in 20th century necessitating raised parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with 'Mousemill Road, Kirkfieldbank, Old Bridgend'.

Clydesholm Bridge is of outstanding importance not only as one of the few surviving late 17th century bridges in Scotland but also as the oldest surviving crossing of the River Clyde. It is also significant because it was one of the first bridges to be built without ribs. The massive piers with their triangular cutwaters carried up to provide pedestrian refuges and the semi-circular arches are typical of the period.

The bridge lay on the main road from Carlisle to Glasgow, via Hamilton, until Thomas Telford's Glasgow-Carlisle road was completed in the early 1820s. Prior to its erection the Clyde had to be crossed by means of the ferry-boat, or forded above the islands lying just to the S up-river from this point. The bridge continued to carry main road traffic until 1956 when a new concrete bride was erected to the N. It is now used as a footbridge only.

The Burgh of Lanark first took steps to erect a bridge over the Clyde at Clydesholm in 1649. They approached the Scottish Parliament in March of that year to ask permission to collect a voluntary contribution from all shires, presbyteries and parishes in the kingdom. Although Parliament granted this, the matter was taken no further at this time, probably because of unrest during Cromwell's campaigns and the subsequent period of uncertainty. However the project was revived in 1694 when on 16 May an Act of Council granted authority to make voluntary contribution throughout the kingdom. The following year the Burgh approached the Privy Council to obtain aid for the building scheme. Building work commenced in 1696 and continued until 1699. John Lockhart of Birkenhead who had initially (along with William Loukup of Drumlanrig) given advice about the situation of the bridge was appointed master of works at a salary of 20s per day in 1695 and in the following year his plans were adopted. In 1699 he received a further 'fiftie merks Scottis as a gratuite for his good service at the bridge'.

At various times the strength of the bridge was tested. In the late 18th century it was reported that 'from the late great weight of earth laid upon the abutment next the town, it is somewhat doubtful whether it may not be hurt by it' whilst in the early years of the twentieth century 'it has withstood many a heavy flood, the current occasionally reaching within a few inches of the top of the arches'.

Formerly a Scheduled Ancient Monument. De-scheduled 15 December 1998.

List description updated 2010.

References

Bibliography

Statistical Account of Scotland (1795), Vol XV, p26. First edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1858). John Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland (1976), Vol. I: The Lowlands, p174. Glasgow and Lanarkshire Illustrated (1904), p120. Thomas Reid, 'Fords, Ferries, Floats and Bridges near Lanark', Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (1947) vol XCVI, pp209-256. Alexander Fenton and Geoffrey Stell, Loads and Roads in Scotland and Beyond: Road Transport over 6,000 years (1984) p87. Roland Paxton and Jim Shipway, Civil Engineering Heritage: Scotland Lowlands and Borders (2007), p230.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MOUSEMILL ROAD, CLYDESHOLM BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/12/2018 01:01