David Bryce. 1874. Scottish Baronial. 2 storey central
block with single storey wings linking projecting terminal
wings, flanked by circular turrets. Snecked rubble with
ashlar dressings. Main block, 3 bays with central door
flanked by narrow lights, 1 window in each flanking bay,
3 windows to 1st floor, central with wall-head gable,
outer bays with prominent crowstepped gables. Straight
skews and slate roof. 1 window in linking bays, and 1 in
gable end of projecting wings. Turrets with 3 narrow
lights to ground and 1st floors; capped with conical
fishscale slate roofs, with iron finials. Modern ward
extensions at rear.
Statement of Special Interest
A good example of a purpose built hospital designed by a prominent Scottish architect surviving in its original form with a fine symmetrical facade. The hopsital was built concurrent with the construction of the major project of the New Edinburgh Royal Infirmary 1870-9 also by Bryce and appears to be a much scaled down version in the same style,
The foundation stone was laid by Lady Lockhart on the 28th November 1874 and it was known as the Lockhart Hospital when it was first opened becoming the William Smellie Memorial Hospital at a later stage. It was used as a hospital for over 100 years until it closed in 1992. The building was redeveloped into 6 residential units in the mid 1990s.
Statutory address updated 2011. Notes and references updated 2012.