Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CEMETERY CHAPEL, HYNDFORD ROADLB37029

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
07/05/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
25/03/2013
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
Lanark
NGR
NS 88875 43193
Coordinates
288875, 643193

Description

William Cowie, 1912. 2-storey, square-plan, symmetrical, Art Nouveau chapel, plan changing to Greek cross in upper level with 3-bay open round-arched loggia extending to NE corner and single arch to small court SW punctuated by small paired rectangular windows. Diocletian windows over 3 single lights to projecting 1st floor bays, small domes in re-entrant angles with narrow round arched niches over; modillion cornice between raised angle piers. Central dome supporting a winged figure on circular pedestal flanked by 4 urns. Deep dentilled cornices. Inscription pedimented arched entrance doorpiece on cherub headed brackets reads 'though will not leave us in the dust, thou hast made us, thou art just'. Decorative stained glass panels to large round arched windows.

Small-pane windows to plain windows. Copper roofing to small domes, metal roofing to main dome. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: refined classical decorative scheme to interior with prominent stone altar/coffin table to S of plan on a raised Sienna marble plinth. Further stone features include advanced corniced, stone architrave to N. Black and white polished marble floor, ashlar walls, and plain circular dome with small oculus to apex. Lugged doorways with timber multi-panelled doors to smaller rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

The Chapel is an impressive design of the early 20th century presenting aspects of the Art Nouveau style, but particularly evoking the work of the Viennese Secessionists. A strong, symmetrical composition, with a good sense of proportion, incorporating fine stone detailing and architectural sculpture, including fine depiction of winged figure to building's apex. Fine use of sandstone ashlar to exterior with fine marble, stone and stained glass finishes to interior. The building has an interesting plan form, square at ground with small domes at each angle, rising to Greek cross at clerestory level with prominent Diocletian memorial stained glass windows further defining the space.

This is a very unusual building type in Scotland, only a few other cemetery chapels are known, the Vicarsford Chapel in Leuchars and the Mortuary Chapel in the Western Cemetery in Arbroath (both also category A-listed). Comparative building types are 18th and 19th century burial vaults and crematoria which become prevalent from the 1930s onwards.

The Chapel is located in a prominent elevated setting within an extensive multi-period graveyard and acts a defining landmark in Lanark Burgh from S. It lies close to the ruins of the St Kentigern's Church (see separate listing).

Known as Murray's Memorial Mortuary Chapel it was erected by philanthropist Helen Murray as a public and ecumenical mortuary chapel and bequeathed to the community in 1912.

The Architect William Cowie (1867-1949) served apprenticeships in the offices of Reid's of Elgin, Sydney Mitchell and for 12 years as the chief draughtsman for John and Henry Vincent in Eaglesham before eventually starting his own practice in Ayr in 1905. Most of his known works are in Ayr and the Ayrshires and were predominantly schools and domestic architecture.

Not in use since 2006.

Category changed from C(S) to A in 2010.

References

Bibliography

Dictionary of Scottish Architects (accessed 14 Jan 2010, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk.)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CEMETERY CHAPEL, HYNDFORD ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/11/2019 12:22