Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Removed


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Date Removed:
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Dalry (Dumf & Galloway)
NX 61268 84022
261268, 584022

Removal Reason

Building to be delisted to remove dual designation. Monument will remain scheduled


Late 16th or early 17th century L-plan tower-house; 3 storeys

and attics. Random rubble walling with roughly squared

quoins, and slate roofs. A 2-storey mid 17th-century (1655)

addition formerly adjoined W gable, demolished circa 1850;

single-storey 19th-century rubble-built steading abuts jamb

to S.

Access to the tower is by depressed-arch doorway in

re-entrant angle; above rises stair-turret supported on

roughly cut rows of corbels. This rises to full-height, being

further corbelled out at 2nd floor resting on 4 bull-nosed

corbels. Cat-slide turret-roof incorporated into main roof.

The windows to the 1st floor hall probably mid 17th-century

enlargements with roll-moulded jambs. Otherwise window and

door openings with bull-nosed chamfering. To N-elevation 2

1st floor windows with restored roll-moulded jambs. Below

easternmost 1st floor window to S an inserted stone dated

1655 and inscribed WG MH (William Gordon, Mary Hope) pierced

by a circular hole has been resited from W addition.The gable

line of this wing abutting the main tower can clearly be

seen, along with a blocked communicating door to 1st floor.

Interior: stone barrel-vaulted cellars to ground floor, wheel

stair occupies whole of jamb to 1st floor level. Remains of

fine 17th-century timber panelling to hall, part of Ionic

pilaster flanking fireplace and some cornice details survive.

Turret stair gives access to upper floors, timber joists and

boards in poor condition. The newel-posts of both stairs have




Inventory 155. MacGibbon and Ross C & D vol iii p 521.

Graeme L Henderson, EARLSTON CASTLE (unpublished dissertation

for Mackintosh School of Architecture, 1985).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EARLSTOUN CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:25