Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

KAY PARK, BURNS MONUMENT AND FORMER MUSEUMLB35925

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
09/03/1971
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Kilmarnock
NGR
NS 43284 38292
Coordinates
243284, 638292

Description

Robert Samson Ingram, architect, 1878-9. Andrew Calderwood, builder. Statue of Burns by W Grant Stevenson. 2-storey, T-plan Scottish Baronial museum surmounted by semi-octagonal 2-stage tower with angle turret and spire. Bull-faced Ballochmyle red sandstone with polished dressings. White marble life-size statue of Burns on red sandstone plinth.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: grand flight of steps (divided into 2 at lower flight) ascending to 1st floor balcony; latter supported at all angles by columns with still leaf capitals. Large round-arched portico at 1st floor, with decorative head and crowstepped gable which protects statue (see NOTES), door to left return of ground floor. 2-storey single bay flanking portico with elaborately decorated angle piers, capitals, frieze and cornice, capped with finialled balustrade. Central tower: 1st stage broached with haunched window to centre; corbelled 2nd stage with arched window with RB monogram below. SW face: canted corner with central arrowslit and horizontally placed paired arrowslits to outer bays. Corbelled angle turret projecting above parapet with window to each face capped by corbelled crowstepped gable with arrow slits and facetted spire.

W ELEVATION: central single haunched bay with architraved surround to ground floor; projecting sill course supporting pair of large architraved windows with elaborately decorated mullion, angle piers, capitals, frieze and cornice at 1st floor capped with finialled balustrade. Central tower: 1st stage broached with haunched window to centre; corbelled 2nd stage with arched window with RB monogram below; NW face: rock-faced with Greek cross arrowslit to centre supported by ornate sloped buttress; corbelled parapet with decorative battlements surmounting all.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 regularly placed bays with architraved surrounds to ground floor; projecting sill course supporting 3 large architraved bays with elaborately decorated angle piers, capitals, frieze and cornice at 1st floor capped with finialled balustrade. Central tower: 1st stage broached with haunched window to centre; corbelled 2nd stage with arched window with RB monogram below; NE face: rock-faced with Greek cross arrowslit to centre supported by ornate sloped buttress; corbelled parapet with decorative battlements surmounting all.

E ELEVATION: central single haunched bay with architraved surround to ground floor; projecting sill course supporting 2 large architraved bays with elaborately decorated angle piers, capitals, frieze and cornice at 1st floor capped with finialled balustrade. Central tower: 1st stage broached with haunched window to centre; corbelled 2nd stage with arched window with RB monogram below; SE face: rock-faced with Greek cross arrowslit to centre supported by ornate sloped buttress; corbelled parapet with decorative battlements surmounting all.

3-pane timber French doors to S elevation of 1st floor with 8-pane timber windows to others (now boarded), 3-pane timber sash and case windows to tower with arched heads and stained glass borders. Piended grey slate roof with banded fish scale detail and lead flashing to porch and tower. No rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: formerly housed museum and keeper's accommodation, but altered in 20th century. Ground floor: entrance leading to lobby with 3 rooms and a toilet. First floor: 3 exhibition / museum rooms accessed by door leading from main stairs past statue of Burns. Small room in tower accessed by spiral stair in corner of turret.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group with Kay Park drinkinmg fountain and Reformer's Monument. Alexander Kay (1796 - 1866) left £10,000 to acquire ground for a public park. Kay Park is slightly over 40 acres and cost £9000 with £3000 spent on laying out the grounds. It officially opened to the public in 1879 with the Burns Monument as its centrepiece. The memorial stone was laid by R W Cochran-Patrick, Esq. of Woodside, Depute Provincial Grand Master for Ayrshire, with full masonic honours, on the 14th September, 1878, and the statue was unveiled by Colonel Alexander of Ballochmyle, M.P. on 9th August, 1879. Burns's Poems were first published in Kilmarnock on 31st July 1786. The monument was designed by Robert S Ingram whose father, local architect James Ingram, died shortly before it was opened. Robert Ingram counted this building as the crowning achievement of his career, although he was prolific in the design and extension of many public buildings and private residences within the town. Originally a keeper resided on the ground floor, with the 1st floor housing a museum of Burns artefacts including a first Kilmarnock Edition of his poems. The statue dominating the main elevation shows Burns with a pencil in his right hand and a notebook in the other; at his feet a cluster of daisies rise. Below this, a plaque bears the inscription: "THE KAY PARK. The Gift to His Native Town of ALEXANDER KAY, INSURANCE BROKER, GLASGOW, Born 1796, Died 1866. Opened to the Public, 9th August, 1879." The tower of the monument rises to around 80ft high and from the top people were able to obtain views of the town and Ayrshire. The building cost £1500 to construct and the marble statue another £800. During the 20th century a projecting balcony supported on columns was added to the 1st floor, but this has since been removed and the monument returned to its original design.

References

Bibliography

Charles Reid (adapted from 1857 Ordnance Survey Map), PLAN OF THE TOWN OF KILMARNOCK (1880) showing Monument. Kilmarnock Standard, SUPPLEMENT, 31st January (1880) containing souvenir print of the new monument. Francis Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, VOL IV (1883) p374. John Malkin, PICTORIAL HISTORY OF KILMARNOCK (1989) p32 (p19, 96 & 108 for illustrations). Rob Close, AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p110. Frank Beattie, GREETINGS FROM OLD KILMARNOCK (1994) p19. Frank Beattie, STREETS AND NEUKS - OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) p39 & 40.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KAY PARK, BURNS MONUMENT AND FORMER MUSEUM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/11/2018 01:50