There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 09/03/1971
- Local Authority: East Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: East Ayrshire
- Burgh: Kilmarnock
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 43271 37787
- Coordinates: 243271, 637787
R S Ingram; 1878-1901; damaged by fire 1909; rebuilt 1910 to designs by Ingram & Brown; reopened 1911. Classical library and museum. Shallow U-plan with portico; 2-storey; 15-bay. Ashlar, channelled to ground. Base course; band course at 1st floor; eaves course; balustraded parapet to roof.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central portico: 4 fluted columns with Tivoli order capitals; 2 fluted pilasters at rear; plain entablature; triangular pediment with Kilmarnock Burgh Arms carved on tympanum; sphinxes adorn the lower apexes of the pediment; whole composition crowned with figure of Minerva, goddess of Wisdom. Regular fenestration at ground floor; windows at 1st floor separated by Corinthian pilasters.
NE ELEVATION: 10-bay elevation; same fenestration as principal elevation; door at 4th bay from right.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: rubble elevation; irregular massing.
SW ELEVATION: 10-bay elevation; doors at 1st and 3rd bays from right.
2-pane sash and case windows at ground floor; 3-pane windows at 1st floor. Slate, piended roof with dome over entrance hall and skylights to rear.
INTERIOR: square stairwell with tiled entrance floor; timber panelled corridor leading to libraries to left and right; art galleries behind; museum space at 1st floor.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of a B-Group with 10, 12 and 14 London Road.The Dick Institute was built during a period of civic pride at the turn of the 20th century. It was built to house both a library and a museum. Tragically, a fire ravaged the building in 1909, destroying much of the collection. The museum was rebuilt in 1911 and in 1917 it was used as an auxiliary hospital. Three rooms and two galleries were used as wards and the art gallery was utilised as a games room. Following the end of the First World War, it resumed its intended function. The site of the Dick Institute was once the location of Elmbank House, a large villa built in 1792; it is after this house that the street is named. In the late 19th century, the house was temporarily used as the residence of the Sheriff Hall and then, following the erection of a new Sheriff Hall in the centre of town, the Town Council decided to house a bequest of books in the villa (on the 2nd Edition OS Map Elmbank House is shown as a Free Library and Museum). James Dick gifted the funds, and some of the collection in memory of his brother. Dick was the son of a Kilmarnock merchant and along with his brother had established a very lucrative rubber business that manufactured longer-lasting boots. The architect, R S Ingram, was the eldest son of James Ingram, a very popular and successful Kilmarnock architect. Robert Ingram was born in 1841. He received his training with his father before eventually succeeding to the family practice in 1879. Other works by Robert Ingram in the area include the Kilmarnock Academy and Loanhead Street School. He was a very prolific architect in Kilmarnock in the late 19th and early 20th century.
3rd Edition O S Map, 1910; Dean of Guilds 2500-2600/1442, 005 and 022; T Smellie SKETCHES OF OLD KILMARNOCK 1898; Andrew & J Strawhorn DISCOVERING AYRSHIRE 1988, p197; R Close AYRSHIRE & ARRAN AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE 1992, p112; R Close SOME KILMARNOCK ARCHITECTS in Kilmarnock Aspects of Local History 2, 1999, p57.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.