Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NEWCASTLE ROAD (AND OXNAM ROAD), KIRKLAND HOUSE, (FORMER MANSE), COACH HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALLLB35582

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/03/1993
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Jedburgh
NGR
NT 65080 20193
Coordinates
365080, 620193

Description

Thomas Henry Wyatt, 1875. 2-storey and attic 6-bay gabled former manse with overhanging eaves and decorative bargeboards; yard and coach house to E. Squared and snecked bull-faced dark mustardy sandstone with long and short cream polished ashlar dressings, as church; chamfered arrises; coped base course.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey and attic irregular 6-bay; half-timbered porch to inner right bay with gabled hip roof running longitudinally, narrow lights flanking boarded door and on returns; pair of large segmental-headed stair windows to 1st floor, with timber mullions and transoms and leaded glass; gablehead above with louvred slit. Single lower bay to right with tall narrow window only to ground floor. To left, bay with narrow paired single windows to both floors; next bay (3rd from left) with rectangular timber-mullioned windows and gabled dormer window at wallhead, abutted by wallhead stack; inner left bay with small window (understair) immediately above base course, window between floors with timber mullion as above, similar small window under eaves; far left bay with single windows to both floors.

W ELEVATION: M-gabled bays, with louvred slits in gableheads; all windows timber-mullioned. Right bay advanced with canted piend-roofed window at ground, paired windows above; left bay with window to both floors. S ELEVATION: 4 wide irregular bays, all windows timber mullioned. Inner left bay gabled and advanced with louvred slit; paired windows to both floors, slightly larger at ground; outer left bay lower, glazed door with split fanlight at ground only. Lower eaves to right of centre, paired windows at ground with 2 windows above; windows to each floor at outer right.

E ELEVATION: M-gabled, no bargeboards. Left gable with gablehead stack; blank apart from single windows to both floors grouped to centre of elevation; evidence of pitched roof addition at ground. Right gable with glazed door and 2-pane fanlight to left, windows above and to left; pair of windows in gable. Ashlar gatepier to far right.

COACHHOUSE: to E forming yard with E elevation. Single storey and hay loft gabled L-plan, en suite with house. Coach door and door to loft above in gable to N. Corresponding gatepier and 3 doors to yard to W. Pair of doors and window in re-entrant angle to E.

Timber multi-pane sash and case windows; some with plate glass lower sashes. M-roof with blue-grey slates; teracotta ridge tiles. Ashlar dressed stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coursed granite boundary walls, stepping with site, with ashlar sandstone saddleback coping and square piers at regular intervals, chamfered to octagonal with similar caps.

En suite with wall to Parish Church and Allerley Well Park (see separate listings).

Statement of Special Interest

The house is no longer the manse for the parish church (see separate listing), and is sadly screened from the church by a tall wooden fence and line of leylandii.

References

Bibliography

Rgister House Plans, RHP 7360. F Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER IV 1895 p 32 9. James Watson SMAIL'S GUIDE TO JEDBURGH AND VICINTIY 4th ed. 1880

p31. John Martin Robinson THE WYATTS; AN ARCHITECTURAL DYNASTY Oxford 1979 p264.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWCASTLE ROAD (AND OXNAM ROAD), KIRKLAND HOUSE, (FORMER MANSE), COACH HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 13:40