Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HODDOM CASTLE WITH FOSSE BRIDGE AND DRIVEWAY BRIDGE TO SOUTHLB3558

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Cummertrees
NGR
NY 15609 72966
Coordinates
315609, 572966

Description

Large asymmetrical mansion, nucleus a fine L-plan 16th

century tower house, main (S) courtyard W walls, gateway and

turrets largely 17th century; circa 1826 additions by William

Burn to S and to W of tower largely demolished circa 1970;

extensive neo-Jacobean 1, 2 and 3-storey additions to N and

to W built 1878-1891 (dated throughout), some, at least, by

Wardrop and Anderson circa 1886; additions mainly comprising

open stable court, service ranges to N beyond: now run as a

holiday centre for caravan park; tower is abandoned. Small

driveway bridge to S (above fosse bridge) possibly 17th/18th

century.

TOWER: various alterations particularly at upper level and

to interior; fantastic skyline probably 18th century. 4

storeys with attic and corbelled parapets, jamb corbelled 2

storeys higher with conical roofed bartizans and 19th century

cap-house; parapet encloses slated and crow-stepped-gabled

main roof. Massively thick red ashlar walls, openings mostly roll-moulded: deep raggles and door slappings where later

ranges abutted. Rope-moulded doorway in re-entrant angle;

wide horizontal gunports at ground; some upper floor windows

enlarged.

INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor; spacious turnpike within

jamb (narrower at upper floors); central partition wall at

each level; some mural chambers.

MAIN COURTYARD: (to S and W of tower) W wall with 2-storey

drum turret at either end, that to N 17th century (upper part

rebuilt circa 1975) and vaulted at ground; roll-moulded wide segmental-arched gateway with ball finials and bellcote all

probably 17th century; gateway to S and castellated

Tudor-arched fosse bridge all probably by Burn. All rubble

and ashlar.

19TH CENTURY ADDITIONS: mostly stugged red ashlar with

polished dressings; some mullioned windows; corbelled

parapets, raised over gables. Tall gabled bay to N of tower

(with shaped and finialled skews) probably by Burn;

corresponding (1889) bay to N linked by (1889) stable (now a

bar) with cast-iron columned shelter to court: latter walled

at W, 2-storey blocks flanking gate, with dummy

machicolations, also by Burn. Service ranges to N mostly

single storey, in similar style and dated 1891.

DRIVEWAY BRIDGE: short segmental arch over stream; all

rubble-built; widened, probably circa 1826.

Statement of Special Interest

Category A for quality of tower.

Additions by Burn for General Sharpe of Hoddom; later work

for Brook of Huddersfield who purchased Hoddom in 1877.

Requisitioned by the military, and since unoccupied.

References

Bibliography

RCAHM INVENTORY 1920 No 90; H E Spragge, HODDOM CASTLE, nd

(includes 2 1789 Pennant views); ed Fawcett, SEVEN VICTORIAN

ARCHITECTS, 1976 p 148 (for Burn);

Perspective (? by Burn) hangs in office;

OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT vol VII p. 310;

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, p 250.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HODDOM CASTLE WITH FOSSE BRIDGE AND DRIVEWAY BRIDGE TO SOUTH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:39