Several building phases; core circa 1766, 2-storey, 4-bay
house, additions throughout 19th century culminating in 1902
(dated) additions and re-modelling by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Symmetrical 2-storey country house with full-height flanking
wings, and plain long W wing. Mostly rubble-built with ashlar
S elevation: original house rendered with ashlar margins and
off-centre plain doorway an alteration with re-set inscribed
stones above; 3 pedimented dormers (probably by Blomfield):
advanced flanking wings (left wing has 1844 dated ground
floor lintel) altered and heightened by Blomfield, with
canted full-height windows with pilastered mullions,
datestone and clasping pilaster strips. Main cornice and
blocking course carried over all elevations.
N elevation: 3-bay centrepiece, early 19th century addition
to main house double-pile arrangement, with mid 19th century
inserted cross windows (paired in outer bays); shallow
advanced and pedimented central entrance bay with (?)original
panelled door and decorative fanlight, brass doorbell (?)by
Blomfield. Flanking steep-pitched wallhead gables; wings each
2 bays. Windows mostly small-paned sashes; dormers and cross
windows casements. Corniced stacks; piended slate roofs. W
wing, by Blomfield, also 2 storeys, but lower, and with
U-plan stables to SW, court flanked by rusticated piers;
garages in S range; glass-houses to S, beyond.
Statement of Special Interest
Murray of Murraythwaite archive in S.R.O. includes relevant documentation.
Original house built for John Murray.
Various inscribed dates probably refer to building dates:
stone inscribed "1800, 1823, 1863" and "Refecit 18(?4)5";
17th century pediment and 1660 lintel re-set over S door.
G.D. ref. includes building account 1768-70 and 1774.
Palladian elevation by Walter Newall - copy in Dumfries