1755, completed 1791. Gatehouse with pend running through, surmounted by square tower and spire.
GATEHOUSE: cream painted harl. White painted smooth margins; cills. Upper section of central bay, essentially base of tower, with long and short channelled quoins to E; terminating in band course at foot of clock tower.
N ELEVATION: 3-storey 3-bay; segmental-arched entrance to pend at slightly recessed centre; plaque immediately above (NEWGATE 1755) with panel above bearing shield depicting mounted knight, town motto STRENUE ET PROSPERE and date 1720; small square window at 3rd storey. Clasping bays flanking; bay to left with piend roof, tiny vent to prison cell at ground, rectangular window at 1st floor, square window above under eaves. Blank 4-storey bay to right adjoins courthouse with pitched roof; punched blind opening at ground and vent above.
E ELEVATION: blank apart from corniced door to right at 1st floor, approached by forestair of slender iron columns and stone steps with arrowhead railings. Wallhead stack.
S ELEVATION: similar to N elevation; central recessed bay with arched entrance to pend and 2 windows above. To right, vent at ground, and very tall window above. To left, punched ventilator opening at ground and vent above (as N elevation), single windows to 2 upper floors. To far left, recessed link to courthouse (see separate listing).
Multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Piend roof to E, pitched to W; grey slates.
TOWER: 2 square stages rendered as ashlar with ashlar spire above; all faces identical. 1st taller stage with round-headed louvred belfry window, cornice; 2nd stage set back with pedimented central bay flush with lower stage and containing round clock. Shallow ashlar dome above supporting octagonal spire; wrought-iron weather-vane with cockerel. S face of 1st stage with date panel 1791.
INTERIOR: pend is joisted, not vaulted. Cell to E vaulted rubble. Cell to W. W bay incorporated into courthouse.