Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

30 KIRKGATE AND 1 HILL STREET, OLD MANSELB35431

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
06/11/2008
Supplementary Information Updated
29/05/2013
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Burgh
Irvine
NGR
NS 32118 38763
Coordinates
232118, 638763

Description

Robert Johnstone, 1820; possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Symmetrical 2-storey and attic symmetrical , 3-bay, rectangular-plan house with single storey pavilion to W, divided into 2 properties, circa 1970s. Rendered; painted ashlar margins. Base course, eaves band, cornice and blocking course. Painted ashlar ends. Dormers.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central stucco doorpiece with blocking course and tablet, window above and at each floor to flanking bays with plain margins. 2 canted dormers to centre of piended roof. Single storey, 1-bay pavilion to left, rendered and painted to match.

E ELEVATION: 2 bays, symmetrical, blinded dormers.

N ELEVATION: later additions to rear, including external stair to upper flat.

W ELEVATION: gable end of advanced single storey pavilion.

INTERIOR: (partially seen, 2013). Original room layout largely extant. Some simple cornicing.

Predominantly 2-pane replacement timber sash and case windows; some non-traditional windows to rear. Grey slate piended roof, rendered wallhead stacks to centre of E and W elevations. Coped skews and gablehead stack to single storey bay.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of a little altered, early 19th century former manse. It is situated at the north end of the Kirkgate and faces the Irvine Old Parish Church (see separate listing). This prominent position provides a significant addition to this historic part of the town. Built by a local builder in 1820, the manse retains its early 19th century symmetry and the windows sit close to the wallhead. The dormers are a later addition. The house was divided into 2 flats in the 1970s.

The building is depicted on the 1820 John Wood Map of Irvine as belonging to a Robert Rankin. The building later became the Manse to the Free Church in Irvine (now the Mure Church), which lies some distance to the north. In the history of the church, it is noted that Mr John Rankin donated the first manse to the church. It is likely that this building belonged to the family and was given to the church. This was not an unusual practice during the 19th century.

Category changed from B to C in 2013. List description updated, 2013.

References

Bibliography

John Wood Map Of Irvine, (1820). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1859). H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 3rd Edition (1996) p553. R Close and A Riches, Buildings of Scotland, Ayrshire and Arran, (2012) p384. Information courtesy of owners. Information from Mure Church website www.freewebs.com/murechurch (accessed 07-02-13).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30 KIRKGATE AND 1 HILL STREET, OLD MANSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 03:13