Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HUNTLY STREET, FORMER QUEEN STREET CHURCHLB35277

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
21/05/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66291 45389
Coordinates
266291, 845389

Description

J Pond Macdonald, 1893-5 free Palladian. Centre block has a

2-storey 3-bay pedimented front with upper Ionic order and

arched and keyblocked Corinthian doorpiece approached by

broad concave-splayed staircase. Flanking centre are 2-storey

pedimented stairhalls, pilastered with round windows at 1st

floor; left stairhall carried up as tower with open top

stage of square couples rising into slated spire of

bellshaped profile.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally Queen Street Free Church. The congregation was

originally the Queen Street United Secession Church formed in

1829. It entered the union of 1847 in which the United

Presbyterian Church was formed but, in 1873, seceded to join

the Free Church. The first church was in Queen Street. A new

church in King Street was opened in 1865 and the present

building in 1895.

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS COURIER June 9 1893 (advertisement for tenders);

ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ed Francis H Groome (1901);

and Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland

Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HUNTLY STREET, FORMER QUEEN STREET CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/01/2023 10:50