Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HOLLOWS OR GILNOCKIE TOWERLB3527

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Canonbie
NGR
NY 38231 78559
Coordinates
338231, 578559

Description

16th century tower house shell sympathetically restored for

domestic use 1979-80, W G Dawson architect. Roughly coursed

rubble, ashlar dressings, rectangular or slit openings, mostly roll-moulded, some with relieving arches. Door at S end of W

wall; central gun port to elevations at ground level;

small-paned windows; splayed base course; continuous corbel

table with cable moulding curved over angles, rope-moulding

raised at intervals (some upper stonework removed).

Crow-stepped gables, corbelled apex beacon platform at S,

corniced end stack at N. Slate roof.

INTERIOR: lower level vaulted (prehistoric stone in floor at

door to latter); circular stair within SW angle.

Statement of Special Interest

The beacon platform is a rarity. Usually known as Hollows

Tower, sometimes as Gilnockie Tower, though local tradition

claims that the latter stood on the E bank of the Esk opposite.

Upgraded B to A 12.7.88.

References

Bibliography

RCAHM, INVENTORY OF DUMFRIES, 1920 no. 43 pp 26-7. (inc photo). MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE

vol III, 1889. pp 217-220.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOLLOWS OR GILNOCKIE TOWER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 22:42