Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CHARLESTON PLACE MUIRTOWN HOUSELB35171

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 15/06/1981

Location

  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NH 65017 45963
  • Coordinates: 265017, 845963

Description

Alexander Miller, carpenter, and Hugh Suter, mason, 1800-01.

Originally 2-storey and basement 3-bay centre block linked

by single-storey and basement quadrants surmounted by low

1st floor screen wall with blind windows to slightly advanced single-storey and basement one-bay pedimented wings with

thermal windows at basement and Venetian windows in arched

recesses at ground floor; band course at ground floor, 1st

floor string course, cornice and parapet at centre and

quadrants. Rear wing added Alexander Miller, carpenter,

Inverness, Lewis Yule, John Yule, John McWatt and Colin

Nicolson, masons, Nairn, 1804-05. Centre bay at front

surmounted by attic screen wall with carved pediment

(pediment supplied by Robert Burn, Edinburgh), 1805. Square

plan tower with angle bartizans, Lewis Yule, John Yule and

Colin Nicolson, masons, 1806, at centre of rear.

Idiosyncratic fluted Greek Doric portico at centre bay of

front, Hugh Suter, mason, 1811. East wing, William Symon,

master mason, and Lachlan Mackintosh, carpenter, 1822,

single-storey and basement. East wing gothicised, 1827,

William Symon, master mason, and Alexander Fraser, carpenter

with insertion of hoodmould 3-light cusped and traceried

window and heightening of square-plan castellated bartizans

flanking gable. West wing added, 1827, William Symon, master

mason, and Alexander Fraser, carpenter, single storey and

basement, castellated style with 3-light ground floor window

under Tudor hoodmould to front. Alterations, Alexander

Fraser, master mason, 1830-31, spired belfry added at centre

of west wing (only clock-stage now survives), cast-iron lion

(sculpted by Anderson, Edinburgh, cast by John Wells,

Inverness) erected at apex of east wing (now removed),

interior of house remodelled with new staircase and Gothic

1st floor added to portico (pinnacles at parapet now

removed). Front rendered, 1834. Further alterations and

additions, James Ross 1851.

Statement of Special Interest

Muirtown House was built for Major Hugh Robert Duff, the

editor of the CULLODEN PAPERS. Joseph Mitchell wrote that

"He was an able man but somewhat eccentric. He had been one

of Bonaparte's DETENUS and was confined in a church in France

for six months, which he gave as an excuse for not afterwards

attending divine service at home. He occupied his time in

building his house and laying out the plantations around

it." (Mitchell, REMINISCENCES: (1883), 50-51).

References

Bibliography

Scottish Record Office, SC 29/64/1 99-101, 107-8; SC 29/64/2,

201-2, 302-3; SC 29/64/3, 11-13, 197-8, 201-3; SC 29/64/4,

47-8, 92-3, 145-6, 287, 399-400; SC 29/64/7, 159-61 431-3;

SC29/64/8, 169-70; INVERNESS COURIER, Feb 13, 1851

(advertisement for tenders); Joseph Mitchell, Reminiscences

of MY LIFE IN THE HIGHLANDS, (1883) 50-51.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 10/12/2016 18:34