Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

2 BRIDGE STREET AND CHURCH STREET, TOWN STEEPLELB35153

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/05/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66647 45218
Coordinates
266647, 845218

Description

Alexander Laing following design by William Sibbald, 1791.

Classic square-plan, ashlar. 3-storey tower,

round-arched openings to Bridge Street ground floor,

Venetian windows with blind centre light and apron in Bridge

Street and Church Street fronts at 1st floor, round-arched

window rising into open pediment on each front, at 2nd

floor, 1st floor band course. Lower belfry stage, Doric

pilasters at angles and framing round-headed keyblocked

louvred openings, with subsidiary anta pilastrade threaded

through entablature. Clock stage, at each front clock face

beneath swag and broken pediment advances from panelled

angle piers surmounted by swagged urns. Upper belfry stage

octagonal with Ionic angle pilasters N, S, W, and E

fronts having single round-headed openings, NE, NW, SE and SW

fronts containing 2-storey blind openings, corniced at lower

storey. Octagonal base to spire with blind vents. Octagonal

spire surmounted by ball and weathercock.

Statement of Special Interest

A group with 4-14 Bridge Street. The design was furnished by

Alexander Laing who supervised the building but the authorship

of the design is credited in THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1793)

to Sibbald.

References

Bibliography

STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, ix 623; Alexander Mackenzie,

GUIDE to Inverness (1903), 32; Eveline Barron, OLD INVERNESS

(1967)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 BRIDGE STREET AND CHURCH STREET, TOWN STEEPLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/08/2019 23:13