Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BANK STREET AND FRASER STREET, ST COLUMBA HIGH CHURCHLB35150

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/06/1981
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66533 45354
Coordinates
266533, 845354

Description

Mackenzie & Matthews, 1850-52. Perpendicular detail, coursed

rubble with ashlar dressings. 4-bay nave and aisles. Gable

front to Bank Street; gable of nave contains 4-centred arch

under Tudor hoodmould with above 4-light window; at right,

end of south-east aisle has pointed-arched door under

hoodmould with above cusped lancet, at left, 4-stage tower

with octagonal spire, tower having diagonal buttresses,

gableted clock-tower paired pointed arches to belfry and

parapet. Spire originally supported by flying buttresses

from angles of tower. At north-east end of church, transeptal

sanctuary added, John Rhind, 1866. Interior restored after

fire, Leslie Grahame Macdougall, circa 1945; south-west

gallery; stained glass rose window by Gordon Webster.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as the Free High Church replacing a church of 1843.

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH, ed. Ewing, 208; INVERNESS COURIER.

March 20, 1851; INVERNESS ADVERTISER, July 8, 1851; INVERNESS

ADVERTISER Feb. 2 and Nov. 27, 1866; William Glasham, "Old

Houses and Churches", THE HUB OF THE HIGHLANDS, 173; Alexander

Mackenzie GUIDE TO INVERNESS (1903); and information courtesy

of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BANK STREET AND FRASER STREET, ST COLUMBA HIGH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 13:25