Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

28-34 (EVEN NOS ONLY) ACADEMY STREETLB35127

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/06/1981
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66726 45421
Coordinates
266726, 845421

Description

Matthews & Lawrie, 1873-75. Italianate, Elgin freestone

ashlar. 3 storeys, 9-bay front to Academy Street with centre

3 bays slightly recessed; at ground floor 3 shopfronts each

tripartite, pilastered with shallow segmental architraves to

heads of lights; outer windows at wings have balustered

aprons and consoled cornices, cornices of centre windows

of wings having triangular pediments and acroteria; 2nd

floor windows at wings architraved; centre of front 1 storey

in height of 2 at 1st and 2nd floor levels, 3 round-headed

Corinthian columned and pilastered windows, their arched

heads filled with richly cut shellwork (by Goodwillie, Elgin)

and, above, incised work; Corinthian angle pilasters.

To Station Square, near symmetrical front with advanced

centre with Corinthian angle pilasters and pediment; Roman

Doric columned portico with pediment and carved tympanum

framing pilastered, architraved and keyblocked shallow

segmental arched doorpiece at ground floor; tripartite

Roman Doric columned and pilastered window with segmental

pediment at 1st floor; 2 architraved windows at 2nd floor.

West wing 3 bays, east wing 2 bays of shallow segmental

arched windows with console keystones and architraves in

pilastrade at ground; windows with balustered aprons and

consoled cornices, centre window of west wing having

segmental pediment, at 1st floor; architraved windows at

2nd floor. Bracketted cornice. Some lavish interior work.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as offices of the Highland Railway Company.

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS ADVERTISER, May 6 1873; and information courtesy of

The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 28-34 (EVEN NOS ONLY) ACADEMY STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2022 19:59