Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ACADEMY STREET, UNION STREET, CHURCH STREET AND QUEENSGATE, MARKET ARCADE AND NEW MARKETLB35118

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/12/1976
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Inverness
NGR
NH 66709 45407
Coordinates
266709, 845407

Description

Public Markets and arcade to Academy Street, Matthews and

Lawrie, 1869-70. Italianate, ashlar. Front to Academy

Street, single storey 3-bay front, tripartite round-headed

arched Corinthian columned entrance with carved animal head

keystones, channelled angle piers, bracketted cornice and

balustrade surmounted by urns; outer bays, lower, each with

one round-headed window, cornice and balustrade surmounted

by urn. Arcade, brick, arcaded shopfronts, clerestory

windows, timber roof with cast-iron principals. Front to

close off Church Street: tower, snecked rubble, round-arched

entrance with oculus above and pediment. Markets altered

and extended, Burgh Surveyor, 1890 south-west market hall

timber and glass double-pitched roof supported on cast-iron

columns; central hall, square plan, timber and glass roof with

cast-iron principals. Arcade to Union Street, Ross and Macbeth,

1890. Arcade to Queensgate, Duncan Cameron, 1897, segmental

headed arch at each end, north part of arcade, shopfronts with

polished granite pilastrade, elaborate frieze and egg-and

dart cornice, cast-iron and fully glazed roof, south part

of arcade pilastered shopfronts, each originally of 3

round-headed arches; timber and glass roof.

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS ADVERTISER March 23, 1869, May 28, 1870;

INVERNESS COURIER; March 21, 1890; Sept 5, 1890; March 26,

1897.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ACADEMY STREET, UNION STREET, CHURCH STREET AND QUEENSGATE, MARKET ARCADE AND NEW MARKET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/08/2020 22:44