Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ST. MARGARET'S R.C. CHURCH, WESTPARK STREET AND CHAPEL STREETLB34945

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Huntly
NGR
NJ 52838 40172
Coordinates
352838, 840172

Description

Rt. Rev. James Kyle 1834. Rubble built octagon with lunette

windows, tetrastyle pedimented ashlar fronts-piece surmounted

by 3-stage tower of Spanish baroque character with console

scrolls; belfry top stage with concave sides surmounted by

console crown; impressive saucer domed interior with 7

contemporary Spanish religious paintings, altar piece and

stencilled decoration c. 1902. Mears bell 1834.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The building was

largely financed by John Gordon or Wardhouse who also gave

the paintings; he may have sent designs of contemporary

Spanish Churches from Jerez. The anta capitals of the

tower suggest that William Roberston may have assisted with

the working drawings. The original neo-Greek alterpiece is

preserved within the Presbytery house.

References

Bibliography

N.S.A. v. 12 p 1039

3.S.A. p 589

Hay Post Ref. Chs. p 125, 158

Catholic Directory 1835.

P.F. Anson in Innes Review Autumn 1954 P.S.A.S. v. XC p 155

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST. MARGARET'S R.C. CHURCH, WESTPARK STREET AND CHAPEL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 22:53