Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BONSHAW TOWER AND HOUSE AND COURTYARD WALLSLB3489

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Annan
NGR
NY 24256 72068
Coordinates
324256, 572068

Description

Rectangular-plan tower house, probably mid 16th century, with

1770 2-storey country house to NE, latter with classical

details and with various additions including 1841-2

alterations and additions by Peter Smith, mason and James

Scott, joiner, re-using material of the "old mansion house of

Bonshaw"; tower linked to house 1896 by low corridor. All

rubble-built with ashlar dressings; slated roofs. All

arranged around forecourt at head of steep cliff to E and to

S.

Tower: 4 storeys, horizontal gun loops to elevations above

splayed base course, openings above mostly roll-moulded

bipartites or slits: corbelled plain parapet with

machicolations; crow-stepped gables (crow steps set forward

at NE over internal wheel stair) with end stack at S;

roof-pitch lowered, N-facing former attic light in gable apex

now serves as an open belfry. Corridor encloses tower outer

door and yett: roll-moulded doorway with cornice and panel

recess above.

Interior: monogramed pendant boss within doorway; ground

floor vaulted, with prison cell and stone girnal, wheel stair

within NE angle; wide roll-moulded fireplace at principal

(1st) floor, stone window seats and aumbries; fireplace in

2nd floor, and garderobe.

House: precise development not clear; earliest part seemingly

a 1770 2-storey, 3-bay hose with Doric-columned and

pedimented porch and piended roof; E flank single bay; long

3-bay W elevation altered - possibly 1841-2 (though perhaps

earlier) - with full-height bow added to right, left bay

raised to full height. Continuous eaves band and cornice:

corniced stacks. Tall lean-to fills re-entrant angle;

crow-stepped service wing to N.

Link: roll-moulded slit openings and forecourt door; re-used bolection-moulded doorway incorporated in W wall; concealed

roof. Masked cavetto skewputt incorporated in interior wall.

Courtyard: crenellated low wall over steep slope largely

rebuilt 1895 (dated); some 17th-early 18th century stones

incorporated including roll-moulded jambs and broken

pediment.

Statement of Special Interest

Listed category A for quality of tower.

Tower and later works for Irvings of Bonshaw.

References

Bibliography

S.R.O. SC 15-65

TRANSACTIONS OF THE DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY NAT. HIST. AND

ANTIQUAIAN SOCIETY.

Vol. XX.

RCAHM

INVENTORY, 1920

no. 1

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BONSHAW TOWER AND HOUSE AND COURTYARD WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:49