Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 29678 82519
229678, 682519


William Spence, 1860; offices/hall added later 19th century. Rectangular-plan Gothic church, advanced E (entrance) elevation with 3-stage tower to centre; L-plan offices abutting to NW angle. Squared, stugged and snecked cream sandstone; ashlar dressings. Base and eaves courses. Hoodmoulded, transomed pointed-arch windows with Y-tracery, cusped to E elevation and tower. Pointed-arch and hoodmoulded doorways; diagonal buttresses with saw-tooth coping and crenellated parapet to E elevation.

E (SINCLAIR STREET/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation. 3-stage entrance tower to centre with off-set and gablet angle buttresses, slightly advanced doorway, 2-leaf boarded doors, half-piend ashlar roof, window above, louvered windows to belfry stage, blind pointed-arch and cusped tracery detail below corbel table, cornice, pierced stonework to parapet. Window to half-gable bay flanking tower to right, door on return to right with small window above, mirror image to left.

S (KING STREET EAST/SIDE) ELEVATION: 5 bays; 2 windows to taller gabled bay to outer right, circular window with quatrefoils to gablehead, apex stack. 3 windows to nave to left; door between 1st and 2nd window to left.

N ELEVATION: mirror image of S elevation.

W ELEVATION: projecting chancel with bipartite window to S elevation. Lead-pane glazing to windows with some small stained glass panels. Grey slate roof, cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: vestibule, encaustic tiles, curved stone stairs to gallery. U-plan gallery supported on cast-iron columns with foliated capitals, blind pointed-arch and cusped tracery detail to gallery balcony.

Plaster ribbed semi-circular barrel vault to nave, coffered panels to aisles. Timber rood screen with pulpit abutting, organ behind in chancel.

Decorative marble baptismal font with winged angles to base.

OFFICES: single storey, L-plan. Grey stugged and snecked sandstone ashlar dressings. 3-bay link to NW angle of church with doorway set in advanced gabled bay to centre, small windows flanking. Adjoining wing with doorway and window in re-entrant angle, slightly taller block to right with 3 regular windows. Gabled E elevation with bipartite window to centre, louvered oculus to gablehead.

6-pane timber sash and case windows with frosted glass. Grey slate roof, ashlar coped skews, block skewputts, rendered stacks, moulded cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built for the United Presbyterians whose earlier church built in 1845 is now the West King Street Hall, listed separately.



1st and 2nd edition OS maps of Helensburgh, 1860 and 1898. Robert Small HISTORY OF THE CONGREGATIONS OF THE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 1733- 1900, Vol, p.237. Rev George R Logan, THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS, PARK CHURCH HELENSBURGH, (1964).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SINCLAIR STREET, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2023 22:51