Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 29535 83391
229535, 683391


A N Paterson, 1901-2. 2-storey over basement, asymmetrical L-plan villa with 17th century Scottish Renaissance details, single storey service wing to E. Harled with polished ashlar dressings. Ashlar margins and mullions to windows.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: canted entrance bay breaking eaves with balustraded parapet in re-entrant angle. Doorway with roll-moulded architrave with cavetto moulding surround, boarded door, engraved above 'AD DOM 1902'. Family crest above flanked by inscriptions; cornice acting as cill to bipartite window above with clustered colonnette shafts to angles ending midway at ground floor with corbels of portrait heads of the architect's children. Windows with roll-moulded architrave. Single windows flanking bipartite window on return elevations. Small window on return to left at ground. Square tower joined by narrow single storey link to right; corbelled at 1st floor; eaves course; small windows at ground and at 1st floor below eaves with roll-moulded surround; bellcast lead roof. Taller bay to right with crowstepped gable; mullioned and transomed bow window at ground.

Cornice between ground and 1st floor. Window to left at 1st floor.

Wing to left of entrance bay, corbelled at 1st floor; 3 windows at ground; 3 bipartite dormer windows breaking eaves above, swept roofs. Doorway to outer left, fanlight; narrow transomed window to right. Single storey wing to outer right.

W ELEVATION: 2-bay return to outer left, small windows to basement, window to right at raised ground floor, cornice above, 2 windows breaking eaves above with croketted pediments. Slightly advanced shaped gable bay to right with apex stack, tripartite basement window to right, doorway to left with bipartite window flanking to left. Corbelled balcony above with bombe railing and curved stone stair, doorway to right, bipartite window to left, carved panel above doorway. Corbelled angle turret above, 2 windows with roll-moulded surround, frieze, eaves course, conical slate roof, finial. Window with moulded cornice to centre of gabled bay at 1st floor. Semi-circular-headed dovecot to gablehead with ashlar voussoirs. Large semi-octagonal tower to SW angle corbelled to circular at 1st floor; doorway to basement facing SE, 3 windows at ground and 1st floor, roll-moulded surround to 1st floor windows and cill course, eaves course, conical slate roof.

S ELEVATION: large tower to outer left, main block to right with 3 windows at ground and 3 windows at 1st floor breaking eaves with shaped gables, centre gable dated 1901; moulded cill course. Lower 2-storey wing recessed to outer right with curved bay in re-entrant angle, door facing SE, small window to left with window above at 1st floor. Tripartite window at ground in wing to right; shaped gable to right with dormer window breaking eaves. Single storey service wing to outer right.

E ELEVATION: lop-sided crowstepped gable off-centre right, wallhead stack at apex. Small window to right at 1st floor; bipartite window to left.

Variety of sash and case windows, lead-pane glazing to stair window. Roof decorated with a pattern of purplish-blue Ballachulish and Aberfoyle dark green slates, cast cement ridge; corniced harled stacks; original rainwater goods; thistle style tops to flues. 2 rooflights to N elevation.

INTERIOR: many fine original fixtures and fittings including vestibule with terrazzo tiling; part-glazed vestibute door. Wainscot to hall, dog-leg timber stair with moulded balusters, triple arched screen at ground and 1st floor landing. Wainscot continued into barrel vaulted inner hall; decorative plasterwork to entrance archway and vault ribs; slate chimneypiece with inset porcelain crest, painted overmantle. Drawing room: cove ceiling with decorative floreate plastework by Bankart; chimneypiece with large timber overmantle inset with elaborately worked embroidered panel by Maggie Hamilton; upper sashes in projecting octagon with stained glass by Guthrie and Wells. Large tapestry of Spanish origin on wall opposite (approximately 200 years old). Dining room (former studio): Art Nouveau detailed chimneypiece by George Walton. Morning room (former dining room): timber chimneypiece with decorative overmantle containing ornate enamelled panels. Pantry with original shelves. Stencilled barrel vaulted master bedroom at 1st floor with embroidery work by Maggie Hamilton on the seat and panel adjoining the chimneypiece. Original bathroom fitting and furnishings to en-suite bathroom. Bedroom facing SW: embossed oil painting to overmantle of chimneypiece. Original fittings to main bathroom. Blue tiled Dutch style tiles to nursery chimneypiece.

TERRACE GARDEN TO W: low brick wall, ashlar coped, ball finials, decorative ashlar urn at N angle, steps to lower garden to centre. ENTRANCE GATES AND GARAGE: simple timber gates and flanking fence. Rectangular-plan timber garage adjoining entrance to right, jettied gable above double doors onto Rossdhu Drive, slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Longcroft was built by Paterson for himself, the family crest over the entrance has the initials ANP (Alexander Nisbet Paterson) and MH (his wife Maggie Hamilton) intertwined, the inscription flanking is "A house that God doth oversee is grounded and watched as well as can be - Salve Bene Dicite". It has a fine well preserved Edwardian interior with plasterwork by Bankart, embroidery panels by Maggie Hamilton, chimneypieces by George Walton. The house cost approximately $3,615.



Dumbarton District Library, Dean of Guild Drawings for Helensburgh (Box 1900-1901). James Nicoll, DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND (1908).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSSDHU DRIVE WEST, LONGCROFT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/01/2021 07:00