William Leiper, 1873. 2-storey and attic asymmetrical Scottish
Baronial mansion with 17th century Renaissance details, 2-storey service wing to E. Red snecked sandstone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Single, bipartite, tripartite and multi-partite windows with chamfered arrises or roll-moulded surrounds; ashlar mullioned and transomed windows; corbelled course above 2nd floor to E, S and W elevations; corwstepped gables; beak skewputts.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey wing to left with advanced gabled entrance bay to centre, stair window to right; 2-storey and attic engaged tower to outer right (lower service wing recessed to right see below). Entrance bay corbelled between ground and 1st floors; fine Renaissance doorcase, fluted pilasters on pedestals, wide frieze with armorial shield (St Andrews Cross) above cornice flanked by foliated decoration. Roll-moulded surround to window above with ogeed pediment monogrammed RL and dated 1873. Lead-pane glazing to window on return to left at ground. Recessed bay to right with arrowalit to left and door slapped to right; semi-circular headed Elizabethan stair window above. Engaged tower to outer right with 3 asymmetrically disposed windows at ground, 2 windows at 1st floor, bipartite window above set in advanced corbelled panel with lop-sided gable, arrowslit to gablehead.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting gabled bay to outer right with rounded angles corbelled to square at 1st floor; bipartite windows at ground and 1st floor. Taller gabled bay recessed to left; tripartite window at ground, transomed window to left at 1st floor, raised sculptured ashlar panel to right, corbelled course above, attic window above to left.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: advanced bay to outer left with lop-sided gable and apex stack, sculpted ashlar panel to gablehead, engaged round tower to left angle, angle turret to right, lower wing to far right with 2-storey bow window to centre, surmounted by semi-octagonal attic storey and flanked by dormers breaking eaves with decorated dormerheads. Bay to outer left with window at ground; angle tower with bipartite window facing W at ground and 1st floor, 3 windows to attic, corbel course above 1st floor and attic cill course extending to angle turret. Single window in angle tureet facing E. Conical roof to both towers. Wing to right with 5-light bow window with roll-moulded surrounds, mullions, cill and eaves courses. Finialled polygonal roof. Transomed single window to left at 1st floor. Dormers breaking eaves flanking attic with semi-circular-headed open pediments with armorial shields to tympanum and cradling and flanked by finials.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: ground floor obscured by foliage. Window to centre and right at 1st floor; corbel string course. Bipartite window breaking eaves to centre above with tall crowstepped dormerhead; window to right breaking eaves with decorated gablehead at on S elevation. Tower to outer right. Advanced gabled bay to outer left with apex stack. Service wing projecting to left see below.
N elevation: low 2-storey block with lop-sided gable to right, window to left at ground and to right below gablehead; gabled return to left with sculpted ashlar panel to gablehead. Joined by lower link to villa, door slapping to right, window breaking eaves to centre above with gabled dormerhead. Semi-circular-headed doorway in single storey wall enclosing service yard to outer right, corbelled crenellated parapet.
S elevation: gabled bipartite window breaking eaves to left; gabled dormerheaded window to right breaking eaves with decorated tympanum and ball finial.
Mostly plate glass sash and case windows. Green slate roof; corniced sandstone stacks; new rooflights to N and S; original rainwater goods. INTERIOR: flatted, not seen except for vestibule with lead-pane half-glazed door and surrounding panels, wainscot.