The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
6 QUEEN STREET, HAYWOOD AND SUNDIALLB34840
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- NS 29809 83147
- 229809, 683147
1874, early 20th century addition to rear. 2-storey, asymmetrical gabled villa. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone, ashlar dressings, harled to later additions. Base course, overhanging eaves; ashlar mullions to canted and tripartite windows, chamfered arrises.
E (COLQUHOUN STREET/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: squat advanced 2-storey square tower to centre, (single storey service wing projecting, see below) finialled, heavy pyramidal roof with fishscale slates, ashlar dormer window breaking eaves with decorated pediment. Semi-circular arched doorway on return to right, 2-leaf panelled door, timber gabled porch supported on ashlar columns set obliquely in re-entrant angle. Gabled bay to left of tower with service wing abutting, window to gablehead.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: M-gabled bays; canted window to left, with corniced, piended roof with fishscale slates; tripartite window to right; window to each bay at 1st floor.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window to centre. Taller gabled bay to far right, bay window at ground with glazed door on return to left, window to gablehead. Later bay to outer right joined to old by curved block; small window at ground and 1st floor to outer bay.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: return of later block with door to centre, window to left. Small window to right at 1st floor. Gabled bay to right with window at ground, oriel with slate-hung apron. Forestair to door at 1st floor on return to right. Single storey service wing abutting to NW angle.
SERVICE WING: 2 windows to S face; 3 bays to W face, taller gabled bay to outer right, windows to each bay; 2 windows to N face, coal door to outer right.
Mostly 4-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, tall corniced ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: timber Adamesque chimneypiece to drawing room.
SUNDIAL: pedestal sundial inscribed 'John Whyte 1883'.
Statement of Special Interest
Sub-divided. One fine iron gate remaining to entrance at junction of Queen and Colquhoun Streets. Built for the MacFarlane family, biscuit manufacturers. Coach-house to rear converted for residential use.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.