Mid 19th century church converted to hall on addition of new church
by John Honeyman in 1883, later church adjoining W wall of earlier building at right angles.
MID 19TH CENTURY CHURCH: on E-W axis. Rectangular-plan. Early English style church, lop-sided gable entrance (W) elevation to James Street, bell tower at NW asngle. Cream and pinkish sandstone rubble, stugged cream sandstone dressings. Base course to W; bays to side elevations divided by off-set buttresses with saw-tooth coping and gablets; lancet windows.
W (JAMES STREET) ELEVATION: later 19th century open timber porch (now boarded-in with plain door) to centre, posts on stone bases, half-piend roof with swept bracketted eaves, fishscale slates, finial. Small lancet windows flanking. Stepped string course above. Pair or tall lancets withcusped tracery above entrance. Oculus to gablehead. Bell tower rising from left angle; lancet window to W, loop window to N, paired louvered lancets to belfry; corbel cornice, coped parapet.
N (SINCLAIR STREET) ELEVATION: 5 bays; trofoil window to outer right, 4 remaining bays divided by buttresses, each bay with lancet window, doorway below window to outer left.
S ELEVATION: 4 bays, mirror image of N elevation with vestry block projecting to outer right in re-entrant angle between old and new churches.
Frosted glass to windows. Grey slate roof; ashlar coped skews, gablet skewputts.
1883 CHURCH: on N-S axis with side (W) elevation incorporating rear wall of earlier church. Rectangular-plan, asymmetrical Gothic church, nave with side aisle to W, entrance porch at NW angle with doorway facing W. Stugged, snecked cream sandstone, ashlar dressings. Off-set and moulded base course to N and W; chamfered arrises; lancet windows; off-set and saw tooth buttresses.
NORTH (SINCLAIR STREET) ELEVATION: entrance porch recessed to outer right, doorway facing W, see below. N gable elevation, 7-bay pointed arch blind arcade with lights to 3 bays to centre. Tall 4-light pointed-arch window above with geometric tracery, flanked by blind lancet windows with colonnettes; hoodmould course above stepped down to W ELEVATION: gabled porch with angle buttresses. Pointed-arch doorway, moulded and foilate moulding to splayed reveals, clustered colonnettes flanking. Vesica above enclosing uncarved sandstone panel, moulded surround. Foliate course below skews. 2-light pointed-arch window on return to left (N). Lean-to aisle to right of porch with 2-light window and angle of earlier church adjoining to right.
E ELEVATION: canted stair tower to outer right, lancet window in E face, polygonal, finialled slate roof breaking eaves. Three 2-light pointed-arch windows lighting nave. Lancet window to chancel to outer l left.
S ELEVATION: (liturgical E); wheel window.
Lead-pane glazing. Grey slate roof.
INTERIOR: nave divided from aisle by 4-bay arcade of polished granite clustered columns. Timber roof supported on stone corbels. Fine organ to S below wheel window.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble walls. Square-plan ashlar piers with pyramidal caps to gateway at corner of Princes and James Streets. Cream sandstone piers surmounted by iron lanterns to Sinclair Street gateway.