Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6 MUNRO DRIVE WEST, STRATHMOYNE WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB34823

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1993
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Helensburgh
NGR
NS 29885 83379
Coordinates
229885, 683379

Description

Robert Wemyss, 1899; addition of billiard room by Wemyss, 1910. 2-storey, asymmetrical L-plan Arts and Crafts/Shavian Old English Villa. Squared, stugged and snecked red sandstone; ashlar dressings to ground floor; harled at 1st floor; S elevation with mock half-timbering and red tile-hanging at 1st floor to advanced entrance/stair block. Corbelled conrice at 1st floor; ashlar mullioned windows at ground and to stair window, timber mullioned windows at 1st floor; overhanging eaves; bargeboarded gables.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled entrance/stair block advanced off-centre left; bipartite window at ground; tripartite stair window above with tall semi-circular arched light to centre with tracery detail and small bipartite windows flanking. Carved ashlar panel to gablehead with monogram S.A. Semi-circular arched doorpiece on return to right with chamfered reveals and streapwork decoration with date to tympanum. 2-leaf boarded doors to vestibule, red tiled porch, panelled door to house with Art Nouveau stained glass to upper panel, panelled door to basement to left,t imber beamed ceiling. Recessed 2 bays to right, tripartite window to left at ground, canted window to left with lights arrangedj 1-2-1. Tripartite window breaking eaves to right at 1st floor, flat-roofed, conrice with gablet to centre. Gabled 4-light window breaking eaves to right. Single storey wing to right (former billiard room), harled with mock half-timber detail, chamfered angles, 4-light timber mullioned window breaking eaves to centre. REcessed bay to left of entrance block, window to right, curved bay to SW angle with tripartite window. Bipartite window breaking eaves at 1st floor to centre.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: harled pilaster-strip to centre; curved bay to SW angle; wallhead stack.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: tirpartite window to centre at ground, small window to right; 3 windows breaking eaves at 1st floor, narrow window to centre, 4-light window with cornice and gablet to left, gabled window to right. Single storey and attic service wing advanced to left; door to centre of W elevation, gambrel roof with apex stack breaking eaves to N. Sash and case windows to ground floor with plate glass to lower sashes, multi-plane glazing to upper sashes; multi-pane glazing to upper sashes; multi-pane glazing to casement windows at 1st floor. Piended grey/green slate roof, red ridge tiles, finials. Tall corncied harled stacks. INTERIOR: plain cornices, plaster and timber compartmentalised ceilings. Dog-leg stair with timber balusters and carved newels. Original timber chimneypieces. Former billiard room with wainscot, timber beamed coomb ceiling.

Stained glass: lead-pane glazing with delicate foreate stained glass panels to tripartite hall and stair windows; curvilinear Art Nouveau panel to vestibule door.

BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: red sandstone rubble boundary wall. Drum piers with concial caps, iron gates to Munro Drive. Timber gate to side gateway to Colquhoun Street.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for W Snell Anderson, Strathmoyne is one of the larger villas designed by Wemys in Helensburgh. It shows the influence of Norman Shaw and echoes the later work of William Leiper in Upper Helensburgh by using a mixture of materials, red sandstone, harling, red-tiling and mock half-timbering. However the grouping and details are treated in an very sensitive way reflecting the influence of Art Nouveau and individuality of Wemyss's work.

References

Bibliography

Dumbarton District Library, Dean of Guild Drawings for Helensburgh

(Box 1895-1899) and (Box 1910-1912).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 MUNRO DRIVE WEST, STRATHMOYNE WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 15:22