15th/early 16th century L-plan tower house with wing to W
and with original entrance in S re-entrant angle, partially
encased and re-cast to N in 1765 to form U-plan mansion,
John Adam, architect. Squared and coursed ashlar granite N
front, harled elsewhere with ashlar margins.
Symmetrical 4-storey, 7-bay N (1765) front with centre
entrance and flanking round-headed rusticated doorway with
radial fanlight. Some front windows blind; moulded eaves
cornice; piended platform slate roof. E and W elevations
extend in decreasing height to enclose U-plan court opening
S and incorporating original tower house (with later raised
caphouse) at W. Symmetrical 2-storey, wide 5-bay W
elevation to E kitchen wing opening to court with wide
centre entrance and flanking round-headed windows, all with
S court raised above basement, closed at S by low crenellated
wall and eached by flight steps. Portion of W wing gutted
and roofless (1985).
Multi-pane glazing to sash windows; coped end and ridge
stacks; slate roofs.
Interior: simple entrance hall with restrained plaster
cornice and circular detailing with central rosette to
ceiling. Stairhall with cantilevered stone staircase with
decorative scroll cast-iron balustrade. Plaster ceiling
with cornice and centre "parasol" rosette. Dining room:
former 1st floor great hall, re-panelled circa 1765 with
similar panelling to ceiling. Modern replacement
chimneypieces each end.
Drawing and ante-room: 1765 palmette and antemion frieze and
central rosette to drawing room, floreated rosette to
Library: shallow barrel vaulted ceiling panelled circa
1765; key-pattern frieze and key-pattern detailing to
Strong room: small strong room with iron door and iron
window shutters in NE corner of house, 1st floor.
Statement of Special Interest
Originally a Comyn stronghold (tower at NW named Comyn
Tower). Called Freuchie castle the property passed to Grants
of Inverallan and became the stronghold of Clan Grant;
re-named Castle Grant in 1694. Enlarged and re-cast by Sir
Ludovick Grant in 1765. Sir Ludovick's grandson, Sir Lewis,
inherited the Earldom of Seafield in 1811 and assumed surname
Castle no longer property of Seafield Estate. In process
of restoration (1985).