Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 29428 82373
229428, 682373


Neil C Duff, 1913. Rectangular-plan, Art Deco style former cinema now amusements arcade. Rendered and painted. Base course; margined window bays; cornice; tall stepped and coped parapet.

ENTRANCE (JAMES STREET) ELEVATION: 9 symmetrical bays. Taller bay to centre flanked by pilaster-strips with raised moulded panel as stylised capitals, broad round-headed arch springing from cornice above capitals and set in tall parapet. Modern doors to centre, canted oriel to 1st floor, ocului flanking. 3 window bays flanking, each ground floor window and smaller window at 1st floor set in long, narrow recessed, margined bays; doorway slapped into bays to right. Outer bays flanked by pilaster-strips, doorway to outer left, oculus with keystone to 1st floor, moulded panel between. Mirror image to outer right with window at ground.

Mostly timber sash and case windows with frosted glass and Art Nouveau stained glass panels.

Statement of Special Interest

The former La Scala building is notable for its distinctive Art Deco styling with long narrow pilasters and round-arched pediment to centre adding significant interest to the streetscape. The La Scala opened in December 1913, originally seating about 600. The auditorium was stadium in style, with narrow slips leading to the screen from the rear stalls. A tiny balcony consisted of 5 private boxes, while films were projected from the back of the stalls. The original screen was surrounded by a curved proscenium. Sound was introduced from 1930, and cinema continued largely unchanged until the early 1980s, when the building was split to create a snooker hall on a newly created upper floor, and a small cinema at the rear of the building. The cinema closed in 1984, but snooker continued until the 1990s. The building re-opened as The Logie Baird public house in 2007. The Cinema Theatre Association note that much of the original decoration to the ceiling was intact prior to the conversion to the pub, although it is currently unknown if it survives above the existing modern lowered ceiling.

References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematics Study 2007-08.



Frank Arneil Walker with Fiona Sinclair North Clyde Estuary An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992). Frank A Walker 'The Buildings Of Scotland - Argyll and Bute' (2000) p279. Bruce Peter 'Clyde Coast Picture Palaces' (2000)

- accessed 12.01.08. Further information courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association Scotland.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to JAMES STREET, FORMER LA SCALA CINEMA

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/12/2023 06:25