Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DHUHILL DRIVE WEST, GREYCOURTLB34771

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
24/06/1993
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Helensburgh
NGR
NS 29879 83746
Coordinates
229879, 683746

Description

A N Paterson, 1911. 2-storey and attic, asymmetrical, L-plan Scottish Arts and Crafts villa with 17th century Renaissance details. Harled with cream and red stugged, snecked sandstone and ashlar dressings at ground to S elevation. Mostly timber mullioned windows; overhanging eaves.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: full-height canted entrance bay with jettied gablehead off-centre right, windows to ground and 1st floor to right and left, engaged tower to outer left. Entrance bay with rounded angles below deep rool-moulding surround to bays at ground, windows to centre, small bipartite window above with ashlar mullion, splayed and moulded reveals and lead-pane glazing, monogrammed panel above JRCMRC part covered by ivy (1991). Doorway on return to left; boarded door, small window above with lead-pane glazing, date stone above. 2-light window to centre at 1st floor set in semi-circular headed recess with keystone. Window on return to left. 7-light strip window to upper storey (2-3-2) including semi-octagonal headed fanlight to centre light. Tripartite ashlar mullioned window to right at ground. 5-light window to 1st floor, 2-light dormer above. 2-storey wing to left of entrance block with engaged octagonal tower to outer left (SE angle), 5-light windows at ground and 1st floor, moulded lintels, finialled bell-cast slate roof. Slightly recessed bay at ground between entrance block and tower with canted window off-centre right and chamfered ingoes corbelled below jettied 1st floor. 5-light window to 1st floor with blank moulded panel between 2nd and 3rd lights.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: conservatory (see below) abutting to left of tower. Canted oriel to outer left at NW angle adjoining canted oriel on

N elevation.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: door off-centre left, window to right. 2 windows to 1st floor above, gable to right with stack breaking apex, canted oriel to outer right. Tall narrow stair window to left of door. Wing advanced to left, W elevation with lop-sided gable to outer left with stack breaking apex, 5 windows at ground, window to outer left at

1st floor set in semi-circular arched recess, small window to right, bipartite window to far right with blank moulded panels flanking. Door on return to left window flanking to right.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: lop-sided gabled bay to left with slightly advanced wall-face to left, stepped corbelled detail to right below gablehead,

3 windows at ground and 1st floor, semi-circular headed window with keystone to gablehead. Bipartite ashlar mullioned window to right at ground; tripartite window above. Semi-circular headed doorway to far right; door to recessed bay to outer right.

Multi-pane casement windows. Grey slate roof; harled corniced stakcs, cream and pink stugged snecked sandstone wallhead stack to left of canted entrance block, off-set at top with rounded angles and corniced. INTERIOR: lead-pane half-glazed vestibule door and surround with inscription to cornice; plain cornice with floreate plaster band to hall ceiling; timber balustered rail and columnar screen to stair at

1st floor; timber beamed ceiling to drawing room with tall angle timber chimneypiece inscribed "East West, Hame's Best"; Adamesque style chimneypiece to smaller drawing room; geometric plasterwork to dining room, corbelled fan pendetives to sideboard recess, variegated black marble chimneypiece.

CONSERVATORY: early 20th century. Rectangular-plan canted to S, tall harled base ashlar coped, 2-pane pivot glazing, course of fixed panes above.

BOUNDARY WALL: low harled wall with divided by regularly spaced piers; quadrant walls flanking gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for J R Caldwell. The name of the villa is noted on the drawings as Courtallan.

References

Bibliography

Dumbarton District Library, Dean of Guild Drawings for Helensburgh

(Box 1910-1912).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DHUHILL DRIVE WEST, GREYCOURT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 21:57