J W and J Hay, 1853; addition of vestry and session room, 1878; porch added by William Leiper, 1892; restored (following a fire) by Robert Wemyss, 1924. Squat cruciform-plan Gothic church with ornate crocketted porch to E elevation and 3-stage tower with broach stone spire in re-entrant angle of S transept. Stugged, snecked grey, creamn and red sandstone; cream stugged and snecked sandstone to porch; cream ashlar dressings. Base course; pointed-arch windows breaking eaves with gabled dormerheads, 2-light cusped bar tracery; saw-tooth coped off-set buttresses with cusped gablets; angle finialled and crocketted buttresses to porch; diagonal buttresses to tower.
E (COLQUHOUN STREET/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled with projecting porch to centre, see below; 5-light pointed-arch window above with curvilinear tracery; narrow windows with cusped tracery flanking porch.
PORCH: heavymoulded cornice (stepped on returns) with floreated eaves course; 2 windows to E face divided by buttress to centre, each with 2-light plate tracery with floreated hollow chamfered releals, hoodmoulds with carved head label-stops. Pointed-arch doorway on return to right and left, each with moulded chamfered reveals, 2-leaf boarded doors, decorative iron hinges, handle and keyholes.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 dormerheaded aisle windows to right. Gable transept advanced to left with tower in re-entrant angle, see below. 4-light window with curvilinear tracery to transept. Gabled bay recessed to left of transept with tripartite window at ground and 2 lancets with cusped tracery above.
E ELEVATION; pointed-arch doorway with flanking colonnettes, moulded reveals with floreate moulding, 2-leaf boarded doors, decorative iron hinges. 4-centred-arch window above with cusped 2-light bar tracery. S elevation; similar detailed 4-centred-arch window at ground;l arrowloop window with cusped tracery above; canted stair turret to left with stepped stair lights. Row 3 small windows with cusped tracery to each face at belfry stage. Short angle buttresses to upper stage with octagonal piers above with octagonal caps. Tall narrow louvred 2-light bar tracery gabled lucarnes with clock to each face below windows.
W ELEVATION: canted apse over basement to centre, doorway to far right, bipartite window to outer right with cusped tracery to each light, doorway to far left. Pointed-arch windows breaking eaves with gabled dormerheads to apse, 2-light bar tracery, basement doorway on return to left, bipartite window to basement on return to left. Session house to outer left in re-entrant angle of N transept, see below.
N elevation: 2 4-canted-arch windows with 2-light bar tracery; similarly detailed but taller window to gabled W return.
N ELEVATION: gabled transept to right detailed as S transept. 4-centred-arch doorway in re-entrant angle to left, trefoil window to right, taller gabled bay to outer right breaking eaves with small lancet window with cusped tracery. 3 aisle windows detailed as S elevation, divided by buttresses; coped stack with advanced chimney wall abutting side of window to outer left.
Lead-pane glazing, stained glass, see below. Grey/green slate roof, saw-tooth coped skews, finialled and cusped gablet skewputts. Original rainwater goods, dormers to transepts; fleche.
INTERIOR: rich interior panelled throughout; plaster and timber-beamed vaulted roof, beams supported on stone corbels; gallery supported on 2 cast-iron columns to each transept. Stencil and gold leaf decoration (1926) to chancel. Stained glass: apse, 3 windows (12 Apostles), circa 1926. N wall, (L to R), (Christian Act of Mercy) by Gordon MacWurter Webster, 1931; (figurative panel) possibly by Guthrie and Wells, circa 1890. W window, (Christ Blessing the Little Children) circa 1890. Dormer windows in transepts, to right, (Columba, Giles, Francis), to left (Crucifixion) by MacWurter Webster, circa 1954. S transept, commemorative windo w to John Logie Baird, by Arthur D Spiers, 1988. BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: stugged, snecked cream and grey sandstone wall, ashlar coped. Square piers with stop-chamfered angles, low pyramidal caps.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.