Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6 COLQUHOUN STREET UPPER, LYNTON WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB34760

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1993
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Helensburgh
NGR
NS 30020 83721
Coordinates
230020, 683721

Description

William Leiper, 1908. 2-storey, irregular-plan Arts and Crafts/Shavian Old English villa. Rake-joined, stugged and snecked red sandstone, ashlar dressings, harled and jettied at 1st floor with mock half-timbering. Ashlar mullioned windows at ground, timber mullioned at 1st floor; chamfered arrises; overhanding eaves; bargeboarded gables.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled bay advanced to left. 2 closely grouped bipartite windows at ground, depressed-arched doorpiece on return to right with deep stop-chamfered reveals, 2-leaf boarded doors, iron hinges, half-glazed vestibule door with honeycomb lead-pane glazing. Battered lintel course. Cavetto corbel course to jettied 1st floor, mock half-timbering, 3 windows to 1st floor with bipartite window to outer left. Bipartite attic window to gablehead. Recessed single storey service wing to outer left (see below). Recessed wing to right with 2 tripartite mullioned and transomed windows divided by buttress at ground. 5-light window in re-entrant angle at 1st floor, single light to W face with adjoining 4-light to N face. Bipartite window to right. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: canted oriel to outer left. Gabled full-height canted window to outer right, mullioned and transomed windows at ground with lights arranged 1-3-1, timber mullioned windows at 1st floor similarly arranged, jettied gablehead.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: canted mullioned and transomed window off-centre left and to outer left with lights arranged 1-3-1. 5-light window to off-centre left at 1st floor, bipartite window to outer left. Gabled full-height cnated window off-centre right with mullioned and transomed window at ground with lights arranged 2-2-2, 1-3-1 at 1st floor, jettied gablehead. Window to right at ground, semi-canted tripartite oriel above. Small window to far right with harled full-height stack wall to outer right. Return to right with tripartite window at ground and 1st floor breaking eaves. Single storey service wing advanced to right (see E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-light mullioned and transomed stair window to centre at 1st floor, mock half-timber detail to right.

SERVICE WING: N elevation: block abutting E elevation with piended roof, door with windows flanking. 3-bay block adjoining to left with door to centre, windows flanking. Gambrel roof to E with tall off-sets stack to centre. S elevation; bipartite window to left, tripartite window to right.

Ground floor mullioned and transomed windows with plate glass casements below mullions, fixed lead-pane glazing above; mostly multi-pane casement windows to upper storey. Grey slate roof, harlede corniced INTERIOR: wainscot to hall, 2-bay screen to timber balustraded stair. Wainscot to reception room to right, timber beamed ceiling; ashlar chimneypieces to principal rooms.

stacks.

below).

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: red sandstone rubble boundary walls; brick quadrant walls flanking brick piers to principal entrance, 2-leaf timber gates.

Statement of Special Interest

One of Leiper's later English Arts and Crafts style villas. Built for

J F Duncan and originally known as Polkemmet.

References

Bibliography

Dumbarton District Library, Dean of Guild Drawings for Helensburgh

(Box 1907-1909).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 COLQUHOUN STREET UPPER, LYNTON WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2023 11:00