Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

17, 18 AND 19 CLYDE STREET WESTLB34745

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/06/1993
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Helensburgh
NGR
NS 29539 82303
Coordinates
229539, 682303

Description

T and J Low, 1909. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay Glasgow style tenement with Art Nouveau details, shops at ground. Bull-faced snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Striing course at 1st floor, cill courses, raised moulded quoin corbelled at 1st (originally containing downpipe), overhanging eaves.

S (CLYDE STREET/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: pend entrance to centre with 2-leaf panelled fanlit doors, panelled ingoes, iron gate to porch, timber tympanum with cartouche bearing number of tenement. 19th century shop front to right with timber fascia and awning. Unfortunate modern shop front to left. String course between ground and 1st floor curved above pend. Date stone set in bold keystoned rectangular panel to centre between 1st and 2nd floors. Full-height bowed tripartite oriels flanking, corbelled at 1st floor, corniced at 1st floor, corbelld stepped bowed parapet breaking eaves.

Modern replacement uPVC windows. Grey slate roof, ashlar coped skews, sandstone coped stacks to gables. Modern dormer to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Tenement block with shops built for J R Marten by T and J Low of

18 hamilton Street, Greenock. The surviving drawings in the Dean of Guild show that the original design for the shop fronts and decorative date stone differ from that finally executed. Also each bowed oriel was to have a steeply pitched concial roof rising behind the stepped parapet, it is not clear if these were ever built. The original dormers have unfortunately been replaced by a unsympathetic modern dormer to the street front.

References

Bibliography

Dumbarton District Library, Dean of Guild Drawings for Helensburgh

(Box 1907-1909).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17, 18 AND 19 CLYDE STREET WEST

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 14:49