Early 19th century (1706 marriage stone in porch).
Piend-roofed tripartite-plan classical 2-storey, 5-bay
country house; substantial additions late 18th century
doubling house in size. Further mid 19th century rear wing
rendered and lined as ashlar with ashlar dressings and
ORIGINAL HOUSE: S elevation: inner 3 bays grouped; lugged bolection-moulded central doorway with steep-pitched pediment
on engaged Doric columns (marriage stone in tympanum);
windows all with rusticated long and short worked dressings,
flat heads and quoins, rustication dies in to reveals;
moulded base course and cornice continued on side elevations;
string at 1st floor cill level; 2-bay flanks with chamfered
window reveals. Sash windows throughout, with 12-pane glazing
pattern. Steep, piended slightly bell-cast slate roof with 2 close-spaced margined and corniced small (?original) ridge
stacks transversely set.
INTERIOR: much original bolection-moulded timber panelling
at ground and at 1st floors with moulded entablatures; stone bolection-moulded fireplaces with timber chimneypieces and
double lugged architraves.
ADDITIONS: at 2 periods now forming roughly L-plan to rear of
house, and undistinguished; single deeply-recessed S-facing
bay sympathetically detailed.
INTERIOR: cantilevered stair belongs to late 18th century
Statement of Special Interest
Marriage stone with Carruthers crest and initials "IC MC 6th
April 1706". 2 garden urns nearby broken from bases; 2
elaborately carved armorial panels, 1, at least, from
Design closely related to old Dalton Parish Church.