Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TOWER KNOWE, DRUMLANRIG'S TOWER, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS TO SLB34624

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - (See Notes)
Date Added
16/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Hawick
NGR
NT 50224 14440
Coordinates
350224, 614440

Description

16th century tower house core, 1702 alterations, circa 1810 additional large wing to N, and extensive refurbishment 1995. 3-storey and attic, former hotel comprising 8-bay principal elevation to Tower Knowe, harled and crowstep-gabled tower house at SE corner, and 1995 addition in re-entrant angle to rear. Whinstone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings (many renewed). Tabbed margined quoins to S (larger stones to penultimate bay to right marking 16th century tower). Principal (W) elevation with central, pilastered, shallow-arched doorpiece with side lights and plain pilaster strips extending to eaves; similar detailing to broad pend to far left. 3 Baronial-style gabled dormers breaking eaves to left; corbelled canted corner to outer right. Tower house with parapet walkway and water spouts; gunloop to ground floor; larger mid-19th century openings and reconstructed crowsteps to garret. 3-storey glazed section to rear linking tower house to new curved, rendered stair tower.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; ashlar-coped skews; corniced ridge and gable stacks; small rooflights. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: Great Hall with some original beams and reconstructed painted ceiling (1995); roll-moulded stone fireplace. Vaulted cellar to ground floor. 3 commercial meeting rooms to front at first floor dating from the earlier 19th century with decorative plaster cornices and chimneypieces with cast-iron grates. Extensive 1995 renovations include concrete stair with metal handrail.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group comprises Drumlanrig's Tower and Nos 1-4 Tower Dykeside.

Drumlanrig's Tower is an important earlier-19th-century former hotel, incorporating a 16th-century tower house to the rear, which together make a strong contribution to understanding the history and development of the town. The broad 19th century elevation to the West makes a prominent contribution to the wider streetscape at the older south end of the High Street.

The original 3-storey, L-plan tower house with garret was built in the later 16th century by the Douglases of Drumlanrig as a residence and administrative centre; it is thought to be the oldest surviving building in the town. The tower was bought by the Scotts of Buccleuch in the late 16th century and it was enlarged to form a square plan by Duchess Anne Scott of Buccleuch in 1702-3. Part of the N wing was possibly added at this stage. These works may have been carried out on the advice of James Smith who was remodelling the Duchess's Dalkeith House at the time. In 1769 the building became a coaching inn on the Edinburgh-Carlisle road, and later the Tower Hotel.

The N wing was extended and the W elevation to the High Street remodelled circa 1810 with a reading room installed in 1835. In 1939 a new ballroom was installed by J P Alison and Hobkirk; this is thought to have been in the ground floor of the building immediately to the E (1 Tower Dykeside) to which it was formerly attached. The building remained a hotel until 1981 and it was sold to Roxburgh District Council in 1985.

The building underwent extensive refurbishment in 1990-5 by Jocelyn M Cunliffe of Gray, Marshall Associates to form a museum and public information centre. During the works the tower was separated from the building to the rear to which it had been connected since the early 19th century and further elements to the NE were demolished. Considerable stone indents and replacements were applied to the front elevation during renovations. List description revised following resurvey (2008).

References

Bibliography

John Wood Map, Plan of the Town and Environs of Hawick from actual survey (1824). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1857). R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District, 3rd Edition (1993), pp16-17. Charles Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994) p139. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p358.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TOWER KNOWE, DRUMLANRIG'S TOWER, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS TO S

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2020 06:58