Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST MARY'S PLACE, ST MARY'S AND OLD PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WITH CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES.LB34612

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Hawick
NGR
NT 50178 14352
Coordinates
350178, 614352

Description

1764 core; Wardrop and Reid reconstruction 1882-3. Symmetrical, stepped T-plan church with entrance bays in re-entrant angles and square-plan, 5-stage clock tower to N stepped in with each band course. Rendered masonry with sandstone and concrete dressings. Moulded eaves course. Clock faces and round-arched louvred belfry openings to tower under slated ogee roof with weathervane. Quoin strips; irregular fenestration with plain margins; gabled dormers breaking eaves; large circular windows to gable apexes. Some earlier memorials set into walls.

Multi-pane glazing in fixed timber windows; timber-boarded and panelled doors. Small grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; stone skews; corniced gable stacks.

INTERIOR: Post-Reformation T-plan layout with panel-fronted sloping galleries over three sides supported on slender cast-iron columns, scrolled stone corbels and exposed timber beams. Shallow vaulted timber-boarded ceilings. Tongue and groove panelling to dado height. Plain pine pews (painted to galleries). Panelled, bow-fronted pulpit with balustraded stair circa 1880; sounding board and seat circa 1960. Communion Table with arcaded front bearing WWI memorial. Plain timber boarded floors. Stone stair to balconies.

CHURCHYARD: 17th, 18th and 19th century headstones around the sloping sides of the church mound.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: Coursed rubble walls with heavy stone copes and squared gatepiers to tower steps entrance (N). 1937 walls and wrought-iron memorial gates to NE entrance. Long angled stone stairway leading down to Kirkstile.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. St Mary's and Old Parish Church is a post-Reformation church prominently sited on a high mound between the confluence of the two rivers to the W end of the High Street, and makes a strong contribution to the character of the area. A church has been on the site since the 13th century with the first dedication to St Mary recorded in 1214. The main rectangular section, which may incorporate fabric of the earlier buildings, was enlarged in 1764 to create a T-plan with an aisle and tower to the NW. During these renovations the Buccleuch burial vaults were sealed below ground. In 1880 the church suffered a devastating fire and much of what is seen today is a reconstruction on the same footprint by Wardrop and Reid in 1882-3.

James Wardrop (1824-1882) has a strong reputation for country houses earlier in his career, although he also rebuilt many country parish churches in the 1860s. In 1873 he went into partnership with Charles Reid (1828-1883) and in 1876 the firm won the contracts for the British Linen Bank. St Mary's was one of the last works before they died and the project was finished by the firm's successors Wardrop, Anderson and Brown.

St Mary's was the Parish Church of Hawick until 1844 when a new church, Hawick Old Parish Church, was built on Buccleuch Street. The two congregations rejoined in 1989 to form St Mary's and Old Parish Church.

The churchyard was closed to burials in 1864 and was landscaped and tidied up in 1973. The stones include a memorial to Baillie John Hardie (1722-1800), founder of the Hawick Hosiery Industry. Two foliate capitals said to be from the earlier church and some earlier tombstones are held within Wilton Lodge Museum.

Memorial walls and gates were erected in 1937 by the town council to mark the 400th anniversary of the Burgh Charter. The raised pulpit and steps were installed in internal renovations circa 1960, and the church was refurbished in 1987. List description revised following resurvey (2008).

References

Bibliography

Shown on John Wood's Plan of the Town and Environs of Hawick (1824). Shown on Ordnance Survey Town Plan (1857). R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District, 3rd Edition (1993), pp51-2. Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994), pp136-7. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p350.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MARY'S PLACE, ST MARY'S AND OLD PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WITH CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 02:39