Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Churchyard and Gatepiers, Dalton Old Parish Church, excluding Scheduled Monument No 8676 ‘Dalton, Old Parish Church’, Dalton VillageLB3455

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Last Date Amended
09/07/2015
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Dalton
NGR
NY 11430 73979
Coordinates
311430, 573979

Description

Quadrangular churchyard, largely enclosed by rubble-built walls and iron fence, mostly 18th-20th century tombstones and monuments, some with well sculptured ornament and crests. Main gate at corner with, 2 rusticated ashlar square gatepiers. Hearse house alongside. Extension to west presumably circa 1918.

Statement of Special Interest

Category changed from B to A on 30 September 1987.

The following reference was included in the previous listed building record written in 1987: NRA(S)1837 8/50 - 1918 plan of churchyard including key to lairs and plan of proposed extension.

Dalton Old Parish Church is Scheduled Monument No 8676 and is excluded from the listing.

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Dalton Village, Dalton Old Parish Church, Churchyard and Gatepiers.'

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 78911

New Statistical Account (1834-45) Dalton, County of Dumfires, Vol.4. p.375.

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1857, Published 1862). Dumfries Sheet LVII.5. 25 Inches to the Mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

National Records of Scotland, Ref, HR523/1 and CH2/247 (includes 1892 reports on the church by Allan Crombie, J Dick Peddie and a medical officer)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Churchyard and Gatepiers, Dalton Old Parish Church, excluding Scheduled Monument No 8676 ‘Dalton, Old Parish Church’, Dalton Village

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:42