Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

18 MOSS-SIDE ROAD, FRANKFORT STREET, BERTRAM STREET, FORMER WAVERLEY CINEMALB33941

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57180 62131
Coordinates
257180, 662131

Description

Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1922, as Waverley Cinema. Large block, with 3 street elevations; red ashlar, some late 17th century detailing; original glazing. Lead-domed recessed and curved SE corner bay, big entrance, painted and with pair giant Egyptianised columns; centre doored 6-bay range to Moss-Side Road, part concealed by trees; 1-3-1 front to Frankfort Street, sculptured roundels over inner windows; attic storey above main cornice. Main roof slated and tarred, big roof ventilator; plain elevation to Bertram Street.

Statement of Special Interest

Up-graded B to A 25 November, 1993.

An unusual design with a striking domed entrance corner, the former Waverley Cinema is an important part of the streetscape. It is an early purpose-built cinema, an increasingly rare building type in a city closely associated with the genre. Watson, Salmond and Gray were more associated with commercial and hospital work and this may have been their only cinema design. With a seating capacity of 1,320, the Waverley Cinema opened in December 1922. It was renamed the ABC in 1964 and closed as a cinema in 1973. After use as a bingo hall, and then a snooker club from 1982, it was empty by 2002. It was later sold and converted to a bar/restaurant/club. Information from the Cinema Theatre Association suggests that interior features remain, particularly plasterwork and ironmongery to the foyer and barrel-vaulted auditorium.

References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 18 MOSS-SIDE ROAD, FRANKFORT STREET, BERTRAM STREET, FORMER WAVERLEY CINEMA

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2019 19:55