Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 60325 64163
260325, 664163


Carpet factory built in stages, principal element William Leiper's spectacular Venetian gothic facade of 1889, to W. Other ranges mostly red brick. Principally 4/3 storeys. Converted c1985 to a business centre, inner ranges demolished at that time to form a courtyard. LEIPER'S W RANGE red terra-cotta, multi-coloured glazed bricks and faience (the glaze damaged by cleaning), extravagantly detailed openings with cusping, mouldings, parapets, roundels at top floor; near symmetrical with emphasis at centre, stair turret corbelled at SW angle. Wide square tower set back from wall-heads rises a storey above. Carpet factory founded on this site 1857; earliest range was a cut-down (2-storey) former cotton mill of circa 1823 (demolished); additions include 1868-9 3-storey 16-bay range at S end of Templeton Street; weaving sheds 1881-9. Long (N) front to London Road, framed buildings, the earliest in red brick, built 1897; bays in vertical panels, 4 storeys plus full attic storey; to right (W), long range with deep recess, large glazed panels; at left, on corner with Templeton Street, fronted in glass with white faience bands between floors, 1934 addition by George Boswell who in 1938 also designed the SE range facing Glasgow Green, which similarly, is mostly glass-fronted, decorative polychrome upper works in deference to Leiper's building adjoining.

Statement of Special Interest

Contemporary comments on Leiper's bvuilding include "rather startling"; "the colours are harmonious, if rather louder than one is used to". (Buildings of Scotland notes).



Architect, December 27th 1889 (part fell during construction with loss of life, result of severe wind on an insufficiently-tied frame). Ironwork devised by Alex Harvey, (Mill engineer, Govan)l Hume 1974, F109; MacKean, SCOTTISH THIRTIES, 1987, pp70, 105 (including perspective of 1934 addition drawn by Ninian Johnstone).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 62 TEMPLETON STREET, TEMPLETON CARPET FACTORY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 09:03