There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Supplementary Information Updated: 20/01/2017
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 60892 63663
- Coordinates: 260892, 663663
C J Menart, 1909-10; Presbytery, 1890 by Pugin and Pugin; later alterations by Gillespie Kidd and Coia, 1953-4 (see Notes) including fresco restoration by William Crosbie. Roman Basilica style church of predominantly rock-faced red ashlar with steel frame. Base and eaves courses. Semicircular-arched, keystoned openings; stone transoms and mullions.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical with triple-arched entrance to ground; giant Diocletian window set between giant Ionic pilasters with sculpture of St. Andrew and St. Patrick and figure of Christ to supporting pedimented gable, flanking stair towerlets with Baroque caps.
S AND N ELEVATIONS: giant Diocletian windows to each 3-bay flank.
INTERIOR: 3-bay with paired marble Ionic columns; sumptuous use of white marble to chancel with columns supporting timber baldachino. Passage aisles flanked by fluted pilasters. Figure of Christ by Jack Mortimer over altar.
Multi-pane leaded glazing pattern with some figurative coloured glass. Grey slates.
PRESBYTERY TO N: 3-storey, 3-bay with top floor above main cornice and with gabled dormerheads and chamfered openings, roll-moulded openings below; grey rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof.
GATEPIERS: iron-railed low boundary wall to street, square gatepiers.
Statement of Special Interest
Place of worship currently in use as such (2010).
The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart is a particularly fine example of an early 20th century Romanesque Basilica in Glasgow characterised by its giant Diocletian window and flanking Baroque-capped stair towers. The unusual and high quality exterior design is complemented by a very fine interior which incorporates an important fresco by Charles Baillie, as well as the adjacent presbytery by architects Pugin and Pugin.
The Sacred Heart Mission, Bridgeton, was formed in 1873 with a timber church mission hall opening in 1874. This building was replaced by the present building in the same site. The ceiling is now partly segmental as a result of major structural alterations carried out by renowned 20th century church architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia from 1953-54. The church has a capacity of 800.
Charles J Menart was a Belgian born architect who specialised in a Roman-Baroque style working primarily for the Archdioceses of Glasgow and Aberdeen. Key among his other commissions include St Aloysius Church in Garnethill, Glasgow and St Thomas s in Keith, Banffshire (see separate listings).
The village of Bridgeton was established in 1776 with the burgeoning cotton industry and resultant influx of people to the city. Since 1705 the area had been known as Barrowfield but became Bridgeton when the Rutherglen Bridge was built along with a new road to the north boundary, now known as Bridgeton Cross. The advent of steam power and increased mechanisation at the end of the 18th century led to the construction of many mills as well as associated textile industries such as dyeworks and bleachfields in Bridgeton. The area became the industrial suburb of Glasgow and was annexed to the city in 1847.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.