1937, Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, Roman Catholic Church built on prominent site to a right, budget. Rectangular-plan church with low aisles, canted apse and very bold central screen tower at W, latter clasped by 2 curved projections housing baptistry and staircase, Italian Romanesque in inspiration. Concrete portal frame cased in brick and glass with brick to screen wall and projections; pantiled steep mansard roof with small triangular ventilators near ridge.
W FRONT: tall centrepiece like flattended tower with 2 tall blind panels with triple arched heads flanking slender crucifix window; below 3 doors into narthex, set in stone doorpiece comprised of frieze and stilted arch under gablet over each door, at centre carving of figures in frieze and Pascal Lamb surrounded by angels etc above. Flanking bays on carved ends with blank walls to W and narrow windows.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: low aisles with small arched windows, various chapel projections to S, vestry to N, rectangular clerestorey windows; very deep cornice-like projection over housing rhones.
INTERIOR: full-height of concrete frame, very simple. On brick walls below Clerestorey windows painted panels of station of cross by Hugh Adam Crawford. Sanctuary plastered, marble reredos carved with a crucifix by Benno Schotz.
PRESBYTERY: linked to church by passage. 2-storey of unequal bays, design of openings reflecting simple arched detailed from church. Brick with some stone dressings, pantiled roof. Off-centre door with boldly carved hoodmould, cusp heads to panelled door. Small arched windows in a variety of combinations. At N projecting bay with 5-light windows to ground and first; casement windows. Deep timber eaves, end stacks with diminutive gablet details.
Retaining walls and wrought-iron gates.