Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

506 AND 548 BILSLAND DRIVE, STAFF HOUSES, 490, 492, 500, 502, 554, 556, 562 AND 568 BILSLAND DRIVE, RUCHILL HOSPITAL FORMER STAFF HOUSES AND COTTAGESLB33748

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
06/04/1992
Supplementary Information Updated
02/10/2018
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58277 68473
Coordinates
258277, 668473

Description

Alexander Beith McDonald, designed 1892. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; base course.

Former Staff Villas - 506 and 548 Bilsland Drive: pair of two-storey, L-plan villas, in the Flemish Renaissance style, flanking the former gate lodges (both now demolished). Brick garden wall to rear.

North Elevation: handed, three-bay, ground floor comprises four-light canted bay to gate side with bracketed blind parapet, mullioned bipartite above and shaped gable; mullioned bipartite at ground floor with cat-slite roof, gabled on return, outer bay recessed with single window at ground; doorway in re-entrant above base course, steps with elaborate iron railings.

Former Staff Cottages - 490, 492, 500, 502, 554, 556, 562 and 568 Bilsland Drive: four pairs of symmetrical semi-detached single-storey cottages, two pairs flanking each staff house, in the Flemish Renaissance style. Brick garden wall to rear.

North Elevation: six-bay, twin shaped gabled at centre with mullioned bipartite, blind key-hole motif above; flanked by doorway with steps and railings; single window in end bay.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1892 the Glasgow Corporation purchased the 91-acre Ruchill Estate. 53 acres of the estate was turned into a public park and 38 acres set aside for building a hospital for infectious diseases. The site was selected for its accessibility from numerous districts of the expanding city. Its position on a hill, with the park adjacent, was chosen to ensure fresh air and sunshine for patients in an otherwise industrial area. The hospital opened on 13 June 1900 and cost around £250,000. It set the standard for local authority infectious disease hospitals built after the 1897 Public Health Act which made the provision of such hospitals compulsory.

The former staff villas and staff cottages are a survival of a once larger municipal hospital site and provide a tangible reminder of the importance of health provision and the combatting of epidemics in Glasgow.

Listed building record updated (2018).

References

Bibliography

Archives

Greater Glasgow Health Board Archives. Plans. HB/42/4/1-3.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (Survey date: 1896, Publication date: 1899) Renfrewshire Sheet IX.NW & SW (includes Cadder, Glasgow, Govan, New Kilpatrick). Six inches to the mile. 2nd and later Editions. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (Revision date: 1909, Publication date: 1913) Lanarkshire Sheet VI.2 (includes Glasgow, Govan). 25 inches to the mile. 2nd and later Editions. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Corporation of the City of Glasgow (1914) Municipal Glasgow: Its Evolution and Enterprises. Glasgow: Robert Anderson, pp.213-226.

Small, S. (2008) Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Rutland Press/RIAS Publishing.

Williamson, E., Riches, A., Higgs, M. (1990) The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow. London: Penguin Books, pp.65-66 and 416-417.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Alexander Beith McDonald, available from: http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200623 [accessed 05/09/2018].

Historic Hospitals. Ruchill Hospital, available from: https://historic-hospitals.com/gazetteer/glasgow/ [accessed 29/08/18].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 506 AND 548 BILSLAND DRIVE, STAFF HOUSES, 490, 492, 500, 502, 554, 556, 562 AND 568 BILSLAND DRIVE, RUCHILL HOSPITAL FORMER STAFF HOUSES AND COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/08/2019 20:18