The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
23, 25 AND 27 SNUFF MILL ROAD, SNUFF MILL, CATHCARTLB33725
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- NS 58543 60119
- 258543, 660119
Group of former mill buildings, built as a meal mill early-mid? 18th century on the bank of the White Cart Water beside Cathcart Bridge, converted to cardboard mill in 1812 with a section becoming a snuff mill in 1814. Converson to housing completed in 1990.
Asymmetrical complex of 2 and single storey buildings on sloping ground, forming L-plan with single-storey addition adjoining to S. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings, some renewed in concrete. Grey slates, modern glazing and skylights.
W ELEVATION: L-plan block and single storey range forming small courtyard, with door and 2 windows to E range.
Advanced 2-storey, 4-bay range to left with piended, platformed M roof, doorway and window on return. Single-storey, 4-bay gabled range to right with door to courtyard.
E ELEVATION: long single storey and attic range with forestair to attic doorway in gabled dormerhead, door at ground to right, cat-slide roof to left with skylights.
Statement of Special Interest
The Lindsay family bought this community meal mill and converted it to a paper mill in 1912, introducing snuff manufacture in part of the mill in 1814. The main product of this mill in the 19th century was cardboard for book-binding; it was powered by 3 water-wheels and known as No 19 of the Glasgow paper mills in the Paper Trade. The Lindsay family ran the mill until 1902 when David Lindsay died; he built Lindsay Tenment nearby, and the Mill House (not included in the listing) was built circa 1905 on the site of his cottage. Historically, Cathcart was an important paper manufacturing area, introduced by an exiled Frenchman Nicholas Deshan in the 1690s at a mill further upstream, which was converted to snuff manufacture in the late 18th century (see OSA); this is compatible with Glasgow's trade boom in snuff, which by 1814 was in decline and explains Lindsay's limited snuff venture.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.