Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SNUFFMILL ROAD, CATHCART OLD BRIDGELB33722

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58527 60141
Coordinates
258527, 660141

Description

Bridge of uncertain, though comparatively early, date. Visual appearance suggests a date perhaps in earlier part of 18th century - pssibly closer to 1700 (1624 datestone most likely relates to an earlier bridge).

Large single arch (approximately 20m span); round-arched subsidiary

span on lower east bank: main arch springs from cliffs on west bank, and consequently roadway slopes downwards from west to east.

Built mainly of coursed rubble, ashlar voussoirs, parapets and part of upper levels of masonry have evidently been rebuilt from time to time over the years. Pier between arches is thicker than main elements of bridge, splayed where it widens, as if for pointed cutwaters, but unusually, ends are simply squared off (ie not pointed, or, significantly narrowed, as cutwaters would be). Roadway and parapets are narrow, coping of latter with deeply-chamfered arrises.

Walls at west leading up Old Castle Road define early roadway, and are themselves of early date.

Statement of Special Interest

Closed to traffic.

The smaller scale of the subsidiary arch raises the question of whether or not it formed part of a previous bridge; but the differences in treatment of the 2 arches (smaller scale of voussoirs; different number of arch stones integrated with inner pier) are not sufficient to suggest such a conclusion should be drawn. Smaller arch primarily for flood relief, though tail-race of nearby mill may have been directed through it too.

The existence on an ancient site of the nearby Old Parish Kirkyard, and of Cathcart Castle, suggets that a recognised crossing point over The White Cart must have existed in this area from an early date.

Also in Ward 57.

References

Bibliography

Williamson, et al, Glasgow, 1990, p540.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SNUFFMILL ROAD, CATHCART OLD BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:15