Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

325 CARMUNNOCK ROAD, KING'S PARK, AIKENHEAD HOUSELB33708

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59640 60269
Coordinates
259640, 660269

Description

1806 neo-classical country house, 1823 flanking wings and alterations all probably by David Hamilton. Divided into flats 1985-6 by Classical House of Glasgow. Stone-cleaned polished pink (Bothwell stone) ashlar with architraves, channelled basement, panelled giant angle pilasters, corniced windows with continuous cill course at ground. Stonework repairs in red ashlar. Glazing all small-paned sashes.

HOUSE: (without known documentation, but attributed to Hamilton) originally free-standing, 2 storeys over semi-raised basement; 5-bay long elevations, their shallow advanced centres each with 3 close-spaced bays; West-facing door is central (panelled door with small-paned fanlight), flanking windows treated as sidelights, their aprons with Adamitic fluted panels, and all set behind tetrastyle Corinthian porch. Ground floor windows in outer bays have distinctive droopy consoles. Deep on plan, with 3-bay flanks; frieze, mutule cornice and blocking course to all elevations, blocking course raised and balustraded (E balustrade renewed over advanced centres; shallow-pitched piended and platformed (slated and leaded) roof, paired stacks rise above platform.

INTERIOR: much early/original cornice plasterwork lost through dry-rot damage; altered by conversion to flats; vestibule opens into top-lit stair hall, cantilevered stone steps, decorative cast-iron balusters.

WINGS: (Hamilton design documented) pair 2-storey roughly square-plan pavilion blocks repeat detailing of house but have low 1st floor with horizontally-proportioned windows; panelled giant pilasters divide bays on 3-bay W and E elevations, cill course at each level threaded behind order; 2-bay flanks; transversely-set central apex stack. One window on each pavilion altered 1985-6 to form door. 2-bay single storey and attic linking ranges, attic storey not original (presumably the unspecified alterations said to have been carried out in 1828) and concealed on W front behind blocking course (which was raised one masonry course) and pitch of roof, horizontally-proportioned windows face E.

References

Bibliography

J Guthrie Smith, OLD COUNTRY HOUSE OF THE OLD GLASGOW GENTRY 1870; (cited in Colvin, 1978, P383); Comme and Walker, 1987 p326.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 325 CARMUNNOCK ROAD, KING'S PARK, AIKENHEAD HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 20:11