James Miller, architect, George Graham, engineer. Begun 1888.
Opened 1890. 4-storey and attic 18-bay upper-level railway
station with 3 shops and offices. Ashlar.
Central booking hall with high ceiling fronted by 4 arches
concealed by fascia. Flanking stair entrances below
terracotta plaques, dated "AD 1890" on left and the
Caledonian Railway's lion rampant on right. Flanking ground
floor shops have 1st floor flats and 6-pane mullioned
windows. 2nd floor 20-pane cross windows. Narrow Ionic
pilasters divide bays on upper floors. Entablature and
Attic: 9 wallhead gabletted dormer windows of 30 panes each.
6 stacks at end ridge and front roof slope.
Elevation to railway: 2 storey and attic. Platform level, 5
arches, 4 with original windows, 1, a doorway, blocked,
divided by Ionic pilasters. Corniced mullioned windows and 3
doors, 2 with segmental pediments. Cornice. 1st floor 9
bipartite, 1 tripartite and 1 slit window. Attic: wallhead
stack and 8 gabletted dormer windows, various sizes. Original
glazing patterns. Slate roof.
Interior: stairs to platform, some cornicing and terracotta
interior of arcade survive.