Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

85 ADELPHI STREET AND 5 FLORENCE STREET, GLASGOW COLLEGE OF BUILDING & PRINTING ANNEXE (FORMER ADELPHI TERRACE PUBLIC SCHOOL), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGSLB33491

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59451 64291
Coordinates
259451, 664291

Description

T L Watson, 1894. 3-storey, 8-bay square-plan Renaissance style school. Pink ashlar to E, W and N, with E partly rubble-built at S end. S elevation of squared snecked rubble. Slate roof and ashlar stacks. Upper part of stack to S rebuilt with blue engineering brick. Lead covering to barrel roofs of stair towers. Ashlar N front to the Clyde has 2 wide tripartite windows on ground and 1st floors with sculptured tympana flanking 6 inner pedimented bays on 1st floor. 4 small windows at 2nd floor and dentil eaves cornice.

W ELEVATION (to Florence Street) 8 bays, with tripartite windows at ground and 1st floors to left. Arched doorway with paired Ionic pilasters and 'Boys Door' inscribed above, within off-centre advanced stair tower. All windows on E, W and N have architraves, with aprons at 1st floor level.

E ELEVATION: similar to W. Arched doorway with paired Ionic pilasters and 'Girls Door' inscribed in entablature.

S ELEVATION, to rear, has central bowed bay rising through all 3 storeys.

Timber framed sash and case windows, with original pattern 12 lying panes in most.

INTERIOR: central glazed atrium with arched braced roof and glazed modern lift shaft inserted. Stone stairs with iron balustrades and timber rail. Some rooms retain original timber tongue & groove half-height panelling. Timber and glazed timber doors (non-original). Timber upper floors. Screed on ground floor (non-original). Original partitions removed on topmost floor E to create large studio space.

Gate piers and iron railings to Florence Street.

Statement of Special Interest

The Adelphi Street School is a good example of a large Glasgow School Board design, with compact massing and internal arrangement around a central atrium, having galleries linking the segregated boys and girls stairs at each end of the building. The successful Glasgow architect, Thomas Lennox Watson (1850-1920), spent 3 years in the office of Alfred Waterhouse, which appears to have influenced his designs. For, while Watson was equally adept at Gothic, for example Kilmacolm Hydropathic, and Classical, for example the Wellington Church beside Glasgow University, he also designed in a neo-Romanesque style similar to Waterhouse. The best examples of this being the Victoria Baths Club, Glasgow, and the North UP Church, in Perth. He also designed 6 schools for the Glasgow School Board, including Garnetbank School, Renfrew Street (B listed), as well as other schools elsewhere and several churches. He was also involved in architectural education as an examiner and served on the board of the RIBA. Although, the school has lost much of its context due to the transformation of its immediate surroundings, with most of the neighbouring sites being redeveloped at least once since 1960. Also lost are the janitor's house, rain shelters, lavatories, part of the playground and part of the boundary wall. Adelphi Terrace, which the principal elevation addressed has become a walkway with no direct access to the school. It is a prominent landmark viewed from the N bank of the Clyde and Albert Bridge, and it is one of the few buildings extant from the old pre-WWII Gorbals. The building has found an alternative educational use as the annexe for the Glasgow College of Printing (March 2010). List description updated 2011.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, Lanarkshire, third revision 1933-6. Williamson, Riches, Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p.511. S Small, Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Guide (2008), p.111. Dictionary of Scottish Architects http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/ Accessed May 2010.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 85 ADELPHI STREET AND 5 FLORENCE STREET, GLASGOW COLLEGE OF BUILDING & PRINTING ANNEXE (FORMER ADELPHI TERRACE PUBLIC SCHOOL), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 09:41