Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

100 ST ANDREWS DRIVE, HAGGS CASTLE, INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGLB33467

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56306 62734
Coordinates
256306, 662734

Description

L-plan tower house still building in 1587, but dated

1585, seat of Maxwells until 1595; abandoned 1753 and

restored in 1850s, presumably by John Baird II, as

factor's house; enlarged wide stair turret, with

entrance, near centre on principal front, with conical-

roofed bartizan, probably circa 1890; low N wing said to

be 1899-1900. Divided into flats in 1940s, converted

1972-6 to present use as children's museum. 3 storeys

with attics; rubble-built, ashlar dressings with

distinctive use of cable mouldings, crow-stepped gables,

slate roofs. Jamb (at W end of S front) mainly rebuilt

by Baird, originally with generously proportioned stair

leading to principal floor, original door in re-

entrant angle with elaborate ornament over; projecting

stair turret on W flank rises above ground floor; one

distinctive tall wall head dormer is original; stacks

include massive E gable stack over kitchen fireplace.

Sash windows. Interior mainly 19th century, reproducing

details of external ornament; one elaborate, original

chimneypiece. Low OUTBUILDING to W mainly late 18th/19th

century, incorporating dormer head from Castle.

Statement of Special Interest

Inscription over door "1585/NI DOMINE/AEDES STRUXE/RIT

FRUSTRA STRUIS/SR JHON MAXWELL OF POLLOK KNY/CHT AND

D MARGARET CONYNGHN/HIS WYF BIGGET THIS HOWS"

One of a series of buildings of the 1570s-90s in the W

by the same school of masons; cf Kenmure, MacLellan's

Castle, Dunderave, Gylen, Seagate Castle Irvine etc, all

with cable mouldings/dog-tooth/chequer-corbelling.

MacGibbon and Ross have pointed out similarties with

Newark.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon and Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC

ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, 1889 (reprint 1977) vol III,

pp 478-484 (reproduces survey drawings by Baird);

A H Millar, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF RENFREWSHIRE AND

BUTESHIRE, 1889.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 100 ST ANDREWS DRIVE, HAGGS CASTLE, INCLUDING OUTBUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:00