H E Clifford, 1888-90 (1890 datestone) with additions and alterations by Thomas Somers, Office of Public Works, 1935. Elaborate Scots renaissance composition with burgh hall, park gate and lodge all included. All built of rock-faced red ashlar with sculptured detailing including dormer heads, polished dressings, slated and red-tiled roofs.
HALL set in wooded garden, open to road; composed with dummy tower house at right (N), projecting low range to front with entrance right in gabled open porch with sculptured tympanum, oriel towards left derived from Earl's Palace, Kirkwall; gabled hall extreme left with long flank to driveway, windows with blocked arches, axial ventilator; some leaded glass.
LODGE opposite park driveway, L-plan, tall 2-storey, shallow gables, roll-moulding, curved roof over low projetion in park; square GATEPIERS have pulvinated bands, pryamidal finials, screen walls.