D B Dobson (John Gordon and D B Dobson); dated 1902.
Commercial building with 3-storey red ashlar front
(brick flanks). Modern movement. 4-light splayed bay to
right corbelled with angle over ground floor. Stepped
crenellated parapet with figure of Minerva. Corbelled
3-light bow to left with carved figure above 1st floor.
Top floor windows rise into roof. 2 first floor windows
over entrance. Elliptical arched and keyblocked entry
grouped under a sinuous cornice with a pair of smaller
entrances. The large double doors have oculi and art
nouveau detail to handle and lock plates. Unusual detail
to rainwater goods, griffin connecting rhones to right.
Exceptionally fine 1st floor interiors with coloured
stained-glass by W G Morton, figure mosaics, ironwork,
lamp fittings with holly, dolphin and mistletoe details,
original embossed finger-plates with sinuous door
handles, and other original fittings. Fluted columns with
free Ionic capitals, marble wall slabs and panelled