Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 55362 65794
255362, 665794


Sir R Rowand Anderson, designed 1892, built 1902-5.

Early 17th century Scots Renaissance style; ashlar.

W elevation of MacLeod Hall: tall 6-bays with columned

and richly pedimented exit inscribed "Quit ye like men".

Modern door, in keeping with the original. Octagonal

projecting stair tower with bipartites and ogee roof. 4

tall transomed bipartites with rich pediments between

buttresses. Slate roof and central louvred timber belfry

under lead cupola with balustrade. Big curvilinear gables

to N and S.

Govan Road, S elevation: advanced end of MacLeod Hall

fronted by curvilinear gable with a fully rigged carvel

finial and obelisks. Ground floor; 3 tripartites with

"The Pearce Institute" inscribed in tympana of segmental

pediments. Large mullioned and transomed pilastered

window with a corbelled cill and ornate strapwork

pediment with 2 flanking canopied niches.

2-storey central block (tea room and Lithgow Hall); 5

ground floor bipartites. Corbelled balcony over with

cast-iron railing, reached by 2 small doors. 1st floor, 4

pedimented dormer heads and central wallhead stack with

segmental pedimented clock projecting on consoled

bracket. Ridge stack. Main entrance richly carved with

obelisks in advanced 2-storey and attic gabled bay.

Small ground floor window; 1st floor ogee-capped oriel,

small strapwork headed windows in 1st floor and in

crowstepped gable topped by stack.

Pearce Street elevation: stepped 2-storey and attic and

3-storey. Large mullioned and transomed stair window.

Pedimented dormers and dormer heads, crowstepped gable

and stack. Pend bay links the northern crowstepped

gable block with "the cottage" at ground floor, Stephen

and Fairfield Halls above, having canted oriel with ogee


N elevation ashlar, with walls facing court of yellow


Interior: simple entrance hall, large main stair with

modern mural. Simply tiled and panelled corridors;

MacLeod Hall, high panelled dado, gilded armorial

pediments over windows in transverse arches. Barrel

vault panelled ceiling. Organ centrepiece with fine wood

and metal work. Lithgow Hall, 1st floor on Govan Road,

frontage, medium sized, panelled dado, fireplace inscribed

"Welcome", and pointed vaulted ceiling. Fairfield Hall,

1st floor at rear, Pearce Street, panelled dado and

ceiling, stone fireplace, oriel. Stephen Hall above,

identical but with mansard roof and oculus. Gym, plain

with large windows to yard. Restaurant, panelled dado,

simple fireplaces. Billiard Room, top-lit from high

mansard roof, panelled dado and original art nouveau

suspended light fittings. Many smaller committee rooms

and others of social history interest, particularly the

Demonstration Room, with large fireplace and steep rows

of school benches to teach female Govanites cooking


Statement of Special Interest

The P.I. was given to Govan by the widow of Sir Wm

Pearce, 1835-88, owner of Fairfield shipyard and MP for

Govan. It was administered by Govan Old Parish Church

and the main hall is named after its minister Rev Dr

John MacLeod 1875-98, but was non-sectarian.

Now run by a Development Committee.

Of great importance to Govanites and of interest to social




Doak (ed) (1977) 117

S R Archives D of G H-Gov 37/652 (1903 and 1906)

Brotchie (1905) p195-6

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 840, 860 GOVAN ROAD AND RETURN ELEVATION TO PEARCE STREET, PEARCE INSTITUTE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/06/2023 01:54